+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Outlook with school periods in Technical; Hi Does anyone know of a way of "customising" the time slots in Outlook? It would be handy to show ...
    sdc
    Thank Post

Outlook with school periods

Hi

Does anyone know of a way of "customising" the time slots in Outlook? It would be handy to show school periods alongside the hours, in much the same way as Outlook 2007 (maybe previous versions too?) allows a second time zone to be displayed to the left of the GMT hours.

I've seen Outlook Academic and it's great - but a little more than I was looking for. I wonder if there's any way of simply showing school periods within the calendar (I realise I could simply create a load of appointments but that's a bit messy really!).

Any suggestions appreciated!
    Thanks
    Stephen

2. 2 Thanks to sdc:

powdarrmonkey (30th January 2009), robins (7th February 2009)

Thank Post
    I take it you only want to show period 1 - 9am-10am etc? Not sure I'm understanding you correctly, but couldn't you just create a shared calender with reoccuring appointments?

sdc
    Thank Post
    Yes, I probably wasn't very clear; sorry!

In (for example) work week view, the hours of the day are listed down the left hand side of the calendar, so appointments are shown in the right horizontal slot for the hour they are scheduled each day.

However, teachers often say things such as "needed for period 4" and we (as technical staff) don't really have much concept of when each period starts/ends - so it would be handy if, running down alongside the hours of the day, markers indicating period 1, period 2 etc could be included. Currently I have been experimenting with a second timezone, and have put Eastern Standard Time next to GMT, so for 9.00am it says 4.00am just to the left, so I would have thought it may be possible to show a custom "day" in a similar fashion... or is this a customisation bridge too far...?!

Thanks again
    Stephen

Thank Post
    Would it not just be easier to have a copy of a standard timetable which shows the time and periods? Even if this was paper based, I think you trying to creating too much work for yourself. I know that after I stated in a new school and the timetable was different to what I was used to I, but I had soon memorised the times of the periods anyway.

If you are sturgling to remember what times the periods cover just stick a blank photo copy above your monitor. Or just get whoever does the timetable to email you blank one until you can remember.

Or I maybe missing your point entirely

6. Thanks to penfold from:

sdc (30th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    I can see the benefit of being able to schedule appointments for timetable hours, but think this is a bit advanced for Outlook.

I have a laminated copy of the period times blu-tacked to the wall by the phone in my room. It's simple at works!

8. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

sdc (30th January 2009)

sdc
    Thank Post
    Yes, I think this may well be what we'll do... it just seemed a little low tech for my liking, really...! But the simple solutions are generally the best!

Thanks!

Thank Post
    I've tried to find a solution like Outlook Academic before, but failed miserably. So good hint, thanks

Thank Post
    I found someone trying exactly the same thing on another forum, but there was a guy from MS suggested it was impossible in general, without some sort of custom scripting if at all but this was in an earlier version, what version are you currently using?

sdc
    Thank Post
    Outlook 2007.

Thank Post
    Adding a time zone to Outlook - Office Watch

Try this, you can make custom time-zones as far as I've been able to read with the program listed.

Thank Post
    Other thought, Mozilla Sunbird, unless you're really tied into Outlook?

Thank Post

Outlook for timeabling etc?

I'm interested in the prospect of using Outlook for academic calendaring and more detailed timetabling. Out of the box there is clearly little support for the needs of schools but the ability to integrate with email, public folders/calendars for shared concepts like classes of pupils, web access, AD and workflow functionality make it a useful platform.

As far as timetabling is concerned, the underlying database seems endlessly flexible but do (presumably 3rd party) tools, AddIns exist to make it a practical alternative (I try to use NovaT6 at present which partly integrates with the MIS but inflicts lots of restrictions).

For example NovaT6 is OK for regular appointments like lessons and SIMS can track who has done cover. Outlook linked calendars can include ad-hoc appointments easily and show who is available for (a meeting - ie cover). but would need a custom interface to make it practical in schools.

Academic Calendar for Outlook and the planned booking agent from GreenHills seems to go some way down this road. Could anyone who has tried it comment? Or suggest any alternatives - much appreciated!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread