+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Excel refuses to save file after encrypting in Technical; One of our IT teaching team pointed this one out to me this morning. He was doing part of the ...

Thank Post

Excel refuses to save file after encrypting

One of our IT teaching team pointed this one out to me this morning.

He was doing part of the OCR Nationals that requires the student to encrypt an excel spreadsheet - students were saving-as their spreadsheets fine, but when it came to apply the encryption (via Office btn -> prepare -> encrypt) the documents refused to save and an error message is presented:

Microsoft Office Excel cannot access the file 'C:\Users\ - username here - \Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.MSO\BCB6000'. There are several possible reasons:

- The file name or path does not exist
    - The file is being used by another program
    - The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as the currently open workbook
    Clicking "OK" to the message causes Excel to stop responding with an immediate "Microsoft Excel has stopped running and will be restarted" type message.

The environment is: Vista Business SP1, Office 2007 Professional SP1, Mandatory profile for all students, redirected desktop and start menu folders, Redirected "my Documents" to a share on a Server 2008 Standard edition box.

I suspect this could be something to do with GP as we do lock our desktop systems down quite a lot, but am at a loss of where to start looking.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank Post
    As an update to this, it seems the problem occurs because the CRYPTO folder in the user roaming profile is corrupted.

Look in C:\Users\ %username% \Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft on a vista machine and delete the CRYPTO folder. I am yet to try this but apparently it will regenerate it next time the application is run.

So in my case, the mandatory roaming profile needs to be de-mandatorised for a bit, then re-restricted after I'm done. A job for the holidays then, when I can guarantee students won't be logged in.

Thank Post
    did you solve it in the end? we got exactly the same problem

Thank Post
    we discovered that it worked fine in one of our other it suites and ended up reghosting the room that didnt work.. something qwerky but resolved the problem for us

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread