+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, MSOCache Removal in Technical; Hi Guys, I'm looking to remove or redirect the local MSOCache from my new netbooks in order to keep the ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

MSOCache Removal

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to remove or redirect the local MSOCache from my new netbooks in order to keep the image below 12Gb. As the MSOCache takes almost 700Mb on its own it is pretty essential.

From what I've read microsoft deliberately made this change in 2007 so that the MSOcache is recreated if it is missing - Great, if you have a 500Gb+ disk, not so if you have a 16Gb disk.

Has anyone else found a way to remove or redirect it?

Thank Post
    You might be looking at Symbolic links...

How do I relocate Office 2007 MSOCache? - Office Setup

Thank Post
    MSOcache folder can be removed during or after installation.
    During installation you need to select Delete Installation files check box and then click finish button.
    After installation you have to use disk cleanup wizard for this purpose. But never use explorer to remove MSOcache folder.
    For local MSOcache check out OPTIONS in your netbooks.You'll find it there...

Thank Post
    But, the problem being after removal if a new user attempts to use Excel it will bring up the installation box for the new user.

You could try map a drive to a network share with the MSOCache, for 2003 the regkey was:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SOFTWARE -MICROSOFT - OFFICE - 11 - DELIVERY - LocalCacheDrive

I'm sure changing the 11 to whatever the number for 07 is might work, bear in mind that if it was Z as the localcache drive the folder must read z:\msocache for it to stand a chance of working, although I never had great success with this, i bit the bullet and kept it on my netbooks... just because of the hassle caused.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't think you should use a drive letter - the installer process won't run as the logged on user and almost certainly won't have the drive letter available.

You should be able to set it to a UNC but you do need to make sure that that is always available.

The reason MS put the MSOCache folder there is that so many people got bitten by installing from a network server or CD which wasn't there when they did a repair, update, or install on 1st use.

If you change its location to be (say) \\server\share\msocache then you need to make sure that "domain computers" have read access to the contents of that share.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread