Poll: Have you migrated away from MS Office?

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Office Software Thread, Anyone ditched MS Office yet? in Technical; We have the sun odt plugin installed sitewide. Sun ODF Plugin for Microsoft Office - Get It and we already ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    We have the sun odt plugin installed sitewide.
    Sun ODF Plugin for Microsoft Office - Get It
    and we already have hundreds of ODT files onsite so it would be really simple to switch. (a reg key sets it as default save format

The blatant SIMS lock-in is the only technical reason we keep MSOffice. All teaching depts we spoke to have no problem with using OOO instead.
    Eventually MSOffice will wither on the vine as it becomes less relevant. Most people don't know the difference, and the ones that do soon see Ooo has more features that interest them than MSOffice (2003) anyway - I mean the actual useful features like save to pdf, convert to wiki format, use a mysql database rather than having a facelift.

2. 2 Thanks to CyberNerd:

HodgeHi (4th November 2008), User3204 (5th November 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    The resolution needs to come from above. I mean the LEA and others like these that insist on sending documents through in Office format. We have no need to go to 2007 but the LEA send documents though in 2007 format. Now i have to install the file converter for them. If they used neutral formats then it wouldn't be a problem.

BECTA have been saying this since 2005, they recommend ODF in the 'technical specification for institutional infrastructure' .
    OpenOffice ( and most other office suites) support ODF files

4. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

HodgeHi (4th November 2008)

Thank Post
    From a management point of view OO has a long way to go on windows and OSX. The ADM version is not free is it?

Even Office and iwork can be configured with managed preferences on OS X.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing to consider also is what would replace outlook if you stripped Office out?
    Web based email stuff is okay but its not as fancy as full outlook and our staff hated OWA to use all the time.
    You could use pop/imap mode in some clients but its not as good as full outlook I believe.
    I am all for office 2007, I think its amazing and well worth the cash as it will generally improve productivity for most. I have never been amazed with OO and I just see it as okay. I know people that hate it when working with tables in the Writer part as they have layout issues etc where as office was a breeze.

EDIT: El' reg has a review of it for linux now http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11..._dot_o_review/

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    One thing to consider also is what would replace outlook if you stripped Office out?
    Web based email stuff is okay but its not as fancy as full outlook and our staff hated OWA to use all the time.
    The Zimbra AJAX web client does everything Outlook does and more.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    The Zimbra AJAX web client does everything Outlook does and more.
    What kind of pricing are you looking at on an annual basis for using Zimbra Email?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We pay nothing to use Zimbra - it is free open-source software. The server hardware cost just under £2,000.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Zimbra is expensive (for push email parts - yes we do need push email) and would require replacing exchange in our situation and thats before we get to the fact yahoo own it and I hate yahoo junk with a passion. They will stitch you all in the end (my conspiracy theory there)
    Zimbra also is not exactly as fully featured as outlook but they are limited by ajax tbh as certain things just wont work due to the way IE etc security is. One big thing I suppose is you cant do a mail merge email.

Thank Post
    We have been using OpenOffice and OpenDocument for the last 2 years.

It is easy to do if you aren't already locked-in to technologies like Exchange, VB, SIMS or some of the proprietary VLEs.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    I'd love to move away from MSO but unfortunately OOo is just not as good as MSOXP/2003 for usability (I HATE 2007) and it is quite clear it was designed by a coder, not a designer. Also as we use exchange, we are tied to Outlook.

If OOo want to replace MSO then they have to either get a fully working Outlook replacement, or an exchange replacement.

SaaS is never good enough for most heavy users. so AJAX/Silverlight/etc are no good.
    Last edited by Midget; 5th November 2008 at 09:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just to go off at a slight angle, MS have announced that Office 14 will be available either as a series of advert funded web apps (free?) or via a subscription model

Obviously competing with Google Apps but may mean that folk stick with Microsoft

Thank Post
    We've been installing OOo alongside MS Office, Now that I see that ADm for OOo we can control it better.

We only install Outlook for certain users, usually, when they need to have two logons to the email server (reception staff: their own, and the general one). We always found that Outlook never quite coped with running on wireless laptops, it went offline, and never came back. The Mdaemon server we have has a "lookout" theme that looks very much like outlook, so keeps them happy.

OOo is also missing a publisher clone... or even something that would open .pub files.

I still have to pop back into excel, when I need to do any importing, but this is because I don't know it well enough. I am being subtly subversive, OOo is installed everywhere now, and so I personally create files with it, and when people ask, that's what they get the odt, file, not the .doc equivalent.

Thank Post

Open Office could be better

I've opened some of my word documents in Open Office writer and some documents especially if they contain a lot of pictures lose their formatting so open office just is not viable for me.

I

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Along with OO.org, has anyone looked at Google Apps as a possible replacement?
    Trialling Google Apps at the moment - I think a combination of Apps externally and MS Orifice internally might be our best option. This would at least get around the MS external licensing nightmare and also get rid of our Exchange server

I would love to move away from Office to OOo but there are just too many issues to resolve: staff retraining, compatibility with sharepoint, features etc. etc.

This issue is part of a whole wider dilemma for me - to open source or not to open source? I'd love to, but my instinct is it's not quite there yet....

Thank Post
    I installed OO in all my schools when I first started working in them many moons ago.

Out of 12 - only 1 said they didn't want it and preferred to pay for MS Office and 1 other "reverted" after 2 years when 2 new teachers turned up and said they couldn't work with it

I install it on all pupil machines and give the teachers MS office.

regards

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast