+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Office Software Thread, Bizarre Office 2003 issue! Please help! in Technical; Right, hold on to your hats, this is a strange one... I have a user on who's computer Excel and ...

Thank Post

Bizarre Office 2003 issue! Please help!

Right, hold on to your hats, this is a strange one...

I have a user on who's computer Excel and Word are playing up. Excel will, when started, attempt to load whatever is in their H:/ drive (their home directory and where My Documents is redirected too). Nothing I've done can fix this behaviour! Starting Excel with the /safe or /automation switches gets round it, but I've tried detect & repair, uninstalling, reinstalling, registry edits, clearing out the user's profile, etc.

All the help on line suggests a small number of possibilities;
    testing add-ins and Com add-ins (no use, no add-ins active),
    clearing XLSTART folders (nothing in them anyway),
    altering the 'At startup, open all files in' setting in Tools, Options (nothing set in there either)
    altering the default file location (only work properly once, but just displayed the same issue with a different set of files)

Now i notice the same thing is happening with Word, too... Anyone got any bright ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Do you mean when loading up Excel, it will try to load every Excel spreadsheet located in H:\ ? Is that correct?

Thank Post
    Oh, no, not just spreadsheets - everything! The drive in question is, for reasons known only to the owner, full of shortcuts to other files - some internet pages, some documents, nothing that looks unusual. There are some sub-folders to, but Excel seems to leave those alone.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As a temporary investigative move you could set a value in the "open all files in" box to a folder with nothing in it and see what it does. If it stops it then setting it back to nothing afterwards may make it stick.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Never seen this behaviour before. I would recommend you allocate the user a new profile.

Thank Post
    Is it on any computer they login to? Or just the one? If any - new profile may be in order.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    only happens with their profile, or with yours too? if its just theirs then maybe just new account/profile creating for them?

Thank Post
    Haven't had chance to shuffle the user on to another PC - she is an assistant head, so isn't in one place long... I suspect it is profile related as I can log on to the offending PC and use Excel without too much trouble...

Thank Post
    Profile problem, rename the old one - and it should create a new one next time he/she logs on. Copy the favorites, desktop etc across.

Thank Post
    Time to resurrect this little gem. I took the advice offered and decided to have a fiddle with the profile. This didn't work, so I've since recreated the user account and reinstalled windows on the offending PC. Still get the issue; the only common element is the user's home directory. As soon as this is connected and available everything goes to pot, but i can't see anything suspicious in there.

The problem manifests itself thus. Word or Excel, when started from the program menu, will attempt to open everything in the H: drive (home directory), whether its the appropriate file format or not. I haven't quite tested it as far as i'd like as the user needs access, still - i can't tell if its reacting funny to any H: drive setting (ie blank, newly connected folders), or just the existing one. I have the feeling it'll work fine until you connect to that existing folder and then it'll mess up whatever you do until the profile is recreated. Once it does manifest itself (i've tested this bit with an empty folder for the H: drive) and you start Word, killing the Word process obviously gets rid of Word, but some shortcuts have somehow been created in the H: drive folder - i seem to remember auto-correct lists and drive shortcuts created.

Any ideas? Its getting annoying now - i've enough to do without bizarre random occurances!

Thank Post
    You have not said HOW you start the program?

Desktop short-cut? Start menu?

Have you tried running Excel from it's executable in "Explorer"?

Jon
    Thank Post
    I have had this...

It is a permissions thing on the default profile. can't remember what files exactly.

A way i found that cured it was to logon to offending machine with local administrator rights. Open and close all offfice apps, the next time an ordinary user logs on the problem for me had gone.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Polski View Post
    You have not said HOW you start the program?

Desktop short-cut? Start menu?

Have you tried running Excel from it's executable in "Explorer"?
    Well... I did mention it was from the programs menu, but to be absolutely clear, I was using the shortcuts from Start->All Programs->MS Office. This was on Office as was originally installed, after being reinstalled on the offending PC, and after the whole PC had Windows reinstalled...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-Jon View Post
    I have had this...

It is a permissions thing on the default profile. can't remember what files exactly.

A way i found that cured it was to logon to offending machine with local administrator rights. Open and close all offfice apps, the next time an ordinary user logs on the problem for me had gone.
    Gave this a try, just to see - don't think it could be related to default profile in this case as just done a clean install of windows, though. Tried launching from the actuall exe file, too, but no different.

Thank Post
    Run gpresult and see what policies apply to that user. Go through each one and see any start any scripts or make registry edits based on that user. Have you scanned the drive for viruses?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast