+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Office Software Thread, Bizarre Office 2003 issue! Please help! in Technical; Originally Posted by m2d2 Run gpresult and see what policies apply to that user. Go through each one and see ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m2d2 View Post
    Run gpresult and see what policies apply to that user. Go through each one and see any start any scripts or make registry edits based on that user. Have you scanned the drive for viruses?
    Nothing suspicious that I can see in group policy for that user/computer - a couple of scripts copy shortcuts to the desktop, but thats it. Already done one virus check on the relevant folders on the server; the PC had a fresh install yesterday...

Thank Post
    We had the same thing happening to our users try this.

Make the user an administrator and log them on - i bet the problem has gone away.

I also bet it wont happen on a FAT32 machine this is an NTFS permissions problem.

If I recall correctly on the local pc you need to give DOMAIN USERS full permissions to c:\windows\application data and c:\windows\temp

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    We had the same thing happening to our users try this.

Make the user an administrator and log them on - i bet the problem has gone away.

I also bet it wont happen on a FAT32 machine this is an NTFS permissions problem.

If I recall correctly on the local pc you need to give DOMAIN USERS full permissions to c:\windows\application data and c:\windows\temp
    We have a winner! This user, when made an admin, didn't have the problem, as you said.. With the permissions set on the local machine as you suggested and admin status removed, the problem is still gone. Thanks for your help!

How odd, though - i can't see how this works, both as a problem and as a solution. The machine in question has been reinstalled, and both the user account and the profile have been recreated; no common element left. More to the point, my laptop is on NTFS, has Office 2003 installed, doesn't have the domain user permissions set and works fine. Odd...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cheredenine View Post
    More to the point, my laptop is on NTFS, has Office 2003 installed, doesn't have the domain user permissions set and works fine. Odd...
    is your account in the administrators group on the server?

it is a bizarre problem probably just a local Norfolk oddity

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    is your account in the administrators group on the server?

it is a bizarre problem probably just a local Norfolk oddity
    My account is, of course... Would explain why the other classroom PCs don't exhibit the problem, too - they all appear to be Fat32 rather than NTFS, thanks to ICT Solutions...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Glad you sorted the problem. Question I have to ask though, is why are you using FAT32 on your machines?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Glad you sorted the problem. Question I have to ask though, is why are you using FAT32 on your machines?
    Aha... Not my choice. I've recently joined the school and have inherited a network previously supported by ICT Solutions, Norfolk CC's IT support arm. They have particular... ways... of doing things. The reason I was given was that some school, somewhere in Norfolk, had had trouble between a peice of educational software and NTFS, so the standard practice now is to use FAT32. Of course this means no file and folder level permissions on local machines, so Winsuite (another great legacy) has to be set to hide all files on the C drive..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    had had trouble between a peice of educational software and NTFS
    It must of been pretty old software! I'm not familiar with Winsuite, but I haven't heard great things about it. NTFS is easily more robust than FAT32, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that

Jon
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cheredenine View Post
    We have a winner! This user, when made an admin, didn't have the problem, as you said.. With the permissions set on the local machine as you suggested and admin status removed, the problem is still gone. Thanks for your help!

Like I said...

If you had of logged on with Local admin rights opened and closed all office apps this would have solved your problem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-Jon View Post
    Like I said...

If you had of logged on with Local admin rights opened and closed all office apps this would have solved your problem.
    I did login with local admin rights, as my user account is a domain admin account; and i certainly opened and closed the applications. This didn't stop the issue returning for the user affected, though, It was only changing the permissions on the folders that solved it, i'm afraid.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12