+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Office Software Thread, Outlook and Active Directory in Technical; We are setting up an exchange server for a school, normally with situations like this we have gone web based ...

Thank Post

Outlook and Active Directory

We are setting up an exchange server for a school, normally with situations like this we have gone web based email or the schools are so small we configure each user individually.

We use mandatory profiles where we can but at the new school there are near on 1000 users and we do not plan to go into each profile and set up outlook for each individual user. I know outlook data is normally individually stored in application data so would that mean we could not automate it?

I have never seen it, but I cannot believe it is impossible, but is there a way to almost integrate outlook fat client to active directory so any new user that logs in's outlook will automatically be configured to their username without it changing their profile, or if it must, only change it once? Surely this can be done through a GPO or something?!?!?

Thank Post
    what you need is a prf, the following link should help:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/or...402581033.aspx

3. Thanks to Jamman960 from:

Bobo (27th March 2008)

Thank Post
    Yes - you need to create a PRF file that contains the Exchange settings, then reference that using the appropriate Outlook ADM.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/he...403051033.aspx

5. Thanks to Diello from:

Bobo (27th March 2008)

Thank Post
    (just to let a colleague not stress too much)

Does this automatically integrate without having to change any profile settings? If so I will give you a massive internet kiss somehow....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why not just simply use OWA for all users (apart from staff)?

Thank Post
    No profile change - just GPO. Outlook will use default AppData folder to store config etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Why not just simply use OWA for all users (apart from staff)?
    If life were only that simple, the school is very adament they want fat client.... you do make sense though.

Quote Originally Posted by Diello View Post
    No profile change - just GPO. Outlook will use default AppData folder to store config etc.
    So the profiles will need to be romaing as opposed to mandatory for the first log in then so they can change the appdata folder, correct?

Thank Post
    Sorry, the question I meant to ask in the last post was..... do the settings come into effect at login, so mandatory profiles are therefore not possible?

PEO
    Thank Post
    Looks like a big job

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Looks like a big job

Indeed, having to learn this and get it set up in the next week, all good fun, learning on the job is the best way to learn imo. Just hoping there is a way to keep mandatory profiles and use these PRFs, reading into the article now to try and work it out but not able to be hands on as the exahange server is not yet ready so it is all a little confusing. That's what makes this forum so useful.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Sorry, the question I meant to ask in the last post was..... do the settings come into effect at login, so mandatory profiles are therefore not possible?
    I'm not 100% sure about the interaction with mandatory profiles but I know that this setting takes effect when outlook is first started and has no accounts set up. It will then search the AD for a mailbox under the current %username% and add that. It should still work under mandatory profiles but it will have to remap each the first time a user opens exchange after each logon.

As all of our clients have the same setup I used the Office MST builder to set up office to point to a PRF file right in the installer. If I was doing it again I would use group policy though as it caches the server name in the PRF file so if you change it the clients will still try to map unconfigured users to the old server.

14. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Bobo (27th March 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So what you bosses want is that Outlook will set itself up, drag down a users email and set them up every time they log onto a new machine?!!
    The network overheads will be awful. And the local Outlook store will bloat out the user profiles!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    You have a couple of options with the prf.

You can script it so that outlook opens when users login and applies the prf, but it gets configured automatically. Or you can change the mandatory profile registry to point to the prf (there are instuctions about reg keys from Ms for this). That way outlook doesn't open when they login, but will confiure when they open it. It takes a few seconds but works with mandatory profiles fine.

I've just moved from the login script option to the registy option. My cmd file was like this:

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\Outlook.exe" /importprf "\\zeus\NETLOGON\Scripts\Outlook.prf"
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Outlook.exe" /importprf "\\zeus\NETLOGON\Scripts\Outlook.prf"
    Some issues, user matching won't work if there is more than one result and it will ask - For example, when I use it my username is david - It brings up a list of Davids with mailboxes. For all other members of staff they login with their sims teacher code (3 initials) so they are all unique in AD meaning no prompt is shown.

17. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

Bobo (27th March 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    So what you bosses want is that Outlook will set itself up, drag down a users email and set them up every time they log onto a new machine?!!
    The network overheads will be awful. And the local Outlook store will bloat out the user profiles!!
    Not with an exchange server with offline store turned off.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    You have a couple of options with the prf.

You can script it so that outlook opens when users login and applies the prf, but it gets configured automatically. Or you can change the mandatory profile registry to point to the prf (there are instuctions about reg keys from Ms for this). That way outlook doesn't open when they login, but will confiure when they open it. It takes a few seconds but works with mandatory profiles fine.

I've just moved from the login script option to the registy option. My cmd file was like this:

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\Outlook.exe" /importprf "\\zeus\NETLOGON\Scripts\Outlook.prf"
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Outlook.exe" /importprf "\\zeus\NETLOGON\Scripts\Outlook.prf"
    Some issues, user matching won't work if there is more than one result and it will ask - For example, when I use it my username is david - It brings up a list of Davids with mailboxes. For all other members of staff they login with their sims teacher code (3 initials) so they are all unique in AD meaning no prompt is shown.

That seems like just what we want, a few seconds is dealable and will help dramatically, do you know off hand where the MS article is?

EDIT: When you do that login script, does outlook literally open, or does it open minimized and so does not hinder any other useage?
    Last edited by Bobo; 27th March 2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Adding to post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast