+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Office Software Thread, Outlook and Active Directory in Technical; I'd have to agree with Dos_Box, but if they want to use MS Outlook or Express then fair enough. I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I'd have to agree with Dos_Box, but if they want to use MS Outlook or Express then fair enough.

I use OWA 2003 for my business mail and it's really good

Thank Post
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/or...402581033.aspx

Has some of the info. You want to use %UserName% for the username for it to search based on the logged in users details. Hopefully that will work ok.

If you are using 2007 I also have a policy that makes the rss feed and windows search box go away - these get reset when applying the prf and the existing microsoft policies don't turn it off properly.

Outlook really does open with the script. The registry one is ok if you are creating a mandatory profile as you only need to do it once.

3. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

Bobo (27th March 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/or...402581033.aspx

Has some of the info. You want to use %UserName% for the username for it to search based on the logged in users details. Hopefully that will work ok.

If you are using 2007 I also have a policy that makes the rss feed and windows search box go away - these get reset when applying the prf and the existing microsoft policies don't turn it off properly.

Outlook really does open with the script. The registry one is ok if you are creating a mandatory profile as you only need to do it once.
    Thanks beyond belief, that is of much use you would not believe, as I'm learning this from scratch and my exchange knowledge is limited as it is, anything you know may be of problem please let me know.... thank you big time

Thank Post

ImportPRF

Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    You have a couple of options with the prf.

You can script it so that outlook opens when users login and applies the prf, but it gets configured automatically. Or you can change the mandatory profile registry to point to the prf (there are instuctions about reg keys from Ms for this). That way outlook doesn't open when they login, but will confiure when they open it. It takes a few seconds but works with mandatory profiles fine.

I've just moved from the login script option to the registy option. My cmd file was like this:

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\Outlook.exe" /importprf "\\zeus\NETLOGON\Scripts\Outlook.prf"
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Outlook.exe" /importprf "\\zeus\NETLOGON\Scripts\Outlook.prf"
    Some issues, user matching won't work if there is more than one result and it will ask - For example, when I use it my username is david - It brings up a list of Davids with mailboxes. For all other members of staff they login with their sims teacher code (3 initials) so they are all unique in AD meaning no prompt is shown.
    We use the same ideas as DMcCoy except we set the ImportPRF value in the registry (in the mandatory profile) to achieve the same thing - we don't seem to have any delay in start up this way.

From MS Site:
    Delete the following registry key values:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\O utlook\Setup\First-Run
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\O utlook\Setup\FirstRun
    In the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\O utlook\Setup subkey, set the value of ImportPRF to a string value that specifies the name and path of the PRF file. For example, set ImportPRF to \\server1\share\outlook.prf.
    We get around the user matching issue by putting "%username%@yourdomain.com" for the username in the PRF file. That way everyone gets on without trouble.

I have attached two example PRFs for you exchset.prf (which prompts for password on Outlook startup for added security) and exchset_ts.prf (which does not prompt, we use this on TS profile). All you need to do is change the two instanced of "MailboxName=%UserName%@domain.com" and "HomeServer=exchange.domain.com" to suit your setup.

Hope this helps
    Attached Files Attached Files

6. Thanks to browsw from:

Bobo (1st April 2008)

Thank Post
    I can't tell you all how much you have helped, will be looking into those files thoroughly today, much appreciated.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12