+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Office Software Thread, Word 2007 "Black Boxes" in Technical; OK, Here you go, I've taken the document and using my copy of 2007 (Sp1 on Vista) i've saved it ...

Thank Post
    OK,
    Here you go, I've taken the document and using my copy of 2007 (Sp1 on Vista) i've saved it as a .doc file and and .docx just for fun.

For the sake of example I've included a working image, the black square should contain some blue warning signs about wearing protective clothing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Did you ever solve this Stuart? Don't think it is your problem but just recently I was making some worksheets and got this exact thing & I think the problem in the end was that Word wasn't interpretting transparent images correctly. I was copying and pasting images from web pages and some would work fine and others would just be black. After saving the images and inserting them all was ok.

No help if it is this as it would mean going through and resaving all the images but at least you would know!

Thank Post
    I never really found a solution but the teacher in question stopped bugging me so in a way...

Seriously though I did come accross this the other day by accident. I've not had chance to try it yet but given some of the earlier suggestions then it's a possibility.

Thank Post

Convoluted Workaround

We have some documents that were causing us the same problem. They were created in Word 2003 and show Black Boxes in place of the pictures in Word 2007. Our trouble is that we also have plans to migrate completely to Office 2007, and if we find more of these types of docs after migration is complete, the option to retrieve the pictures from the Word 2003 doc is not going to be available.

In my experience, "washing" a file though other programs has helped recover lost data a number of times, so, in this case, I tried saving the file in a number of different formats (htm, rtf, and finally saved it as an Adobe PDF) On Saving it as a PDF, the file opened in Acrobat Pro (which I happen to have and use). All the pictures were pictures again, instead of Black Boxes. Then, I Exported from Acrobat Pro to a Word document. When I opened the Word document, all the pictures were back. The only bad thing was that the text wrapping options had changed to "Square" in the Layout options. So, we will have to go back and change those settings.

On a first try at this, I had altered some of the formatting options for one of the pictures (changed size, position, color, set transparent color) and when I saved the file as a PDF, that picture only was still a Black Box. So, the moral of that story is to make no changes to the Black Boxes before "washing" the file through Acrobat Pro. Most of missing images were scans, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

The nice thing about this solution is that you don't still need to have an earlier version of Office to do it. The bad thing is that you do have to have Acrobat Pro.

Just another thing to try to fix your problem. :-)

Thank Post

Cool Fix blank/black images in Word 2007

none of the settings changes out there worked for me, and Microsoft's "workaround" is to open the document in Word 2003.

But this is what WORKED for me:

Open document in Word Pad
    Copy picture from Word Pad
    Paste into Word 2007
    Right click the picture and choose Edit Picture, then the picture appears
    Repeat copy/paste/edit for each picture

mandy

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12