+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Office 365 on iPads - Logging out in Technical; Hello there, I'm an IT Technician in a fairly large school within Yorkshire UK, and have been keeping an eye ...

Thank Post

Office 365 on iPads - Logging out

Hello there, I'm an IT Technician in a fairly large school within Yorkshire UK, and have been keeping an eye on the office 365 suite which was recently released on iPads. I'm pushing the software down with Configurator, and the office licenses we have allow us to login to the applications, unlocking the edit and create functionality within, however I've a concern with security.

The iPads are shared within the school, and bookable from two trolleys for teachers to use in their lessons. To use the applications the students would need to sign in with their accounts, which in itself is fine, however as these are shared iPads, if any student forgot to log out after they had finished with the device, the next user would be able to view, edit and delete any files on the previous users account. Now while most of our students would be sensible and log the previous user out before logging themselves in, it can be guaranteed that at some point someone will cross the line and begin sabotaging others work.

My question is whether anybody on here has installed the software on these devices in a similar manner and has found a solution to this. Something like a timed auto logout would be ideal, however I can't find any such functionality within the applications for this.

I've not yet pushed the application to the shared iPads, and have only tested it locally on our office machines.

Thank you for your time, it is much appreciated,
    Tester.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    The problem is the iPad is a consumer device, designed for 1:1 use rather than shared use.

I believe the Office 365 timeout is 8 hours by default, but can be changed/adjusted using Powershell. Problem is you'll affect the users in question on all devices, not just the iPad specifically.

Thank Post
    Could just make the students use a sign out sheet before they are allowed to take an iPad, stating the duration in which that particular student had the device. That way if a student does forget to logout of their account and something happens to their work, you have a very good idea of who the culprit is already.
    Last edited by tmoon-mint; 28th April 2014 at 02:10 PM.

Thank Post
    The timeout on our office devices is in excess of 12 hours, although I'm not sure of the exact figure at present. A sign out sheet would be a nice idea, especially as we can then track the individual device's user history, however getting the staff/students to adopt and stick to it would be a mini nightmare in itself, and as sods law seems ever present with such things, it'll be that one class that don't bother to sign out the machines, that have the problems. I'll have a look into a system like the above, however my hopes are with Microsoft adding a timed auto logout on the application, as even in a home environment these features would be nice to have. Thank you for your time and suggestions, it is most appreciated.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread