+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Another Spellcheck/exams thread - Office/Word 2013 disabling Spellcheck/Autocorrect in Technical; I have seen a few threads on disabling spellcheck for Office 2007/2010 (disabling/deleting the .LEX/.DLL's, and uninstalling proofing tools) - ...

Thank Post

Another Spellcheck/exams thread - Office/Word 2013 disabling Spellcheck/Autocorrect

I have seen a few threads on disabling spellcheck for Office 2007/2010 (disabling/deleting the .LEX/.DLL's, and uninstalling proofing tools) - but I haven't seen any good way of disabling proofing completely for Office 2013 - does anyone know a good way of doing it?

Removing the LEX/DLL's in Program Files\Office15\Proof will disable the squiggly line and grammar check, but Autocorrect will still change incorrectly spelt words, will capitalise sentences, etc. You can turn off autocorrect in the menus but of course they can just go in and turn it back on.

Is there a good guide for Exams use with Office? they need Word apparently because of table formatting/word count, so Wordpad is out. It's a little hard to believe that for something as important as exams, we rely on kludges such as renaming dll's, and then still can't be sure that it's kosher for exams use?

Thank Post
    We currently have exam laptops locked down with dual local login accounts, one for word the other for notepad, lots of scripts so basically a user logs into either account, notepad or word launches and they can't do anything else, once a document is saved and the programme closed all they can do is ctrl alt del to log off.
    I am currently looking at other options using the office 2013 sdk as we really would like to stop using notepad altogether.

Thank Post
    I found a decent way using the Office 2007 SP2 and 2013 ADMX's together - the 2007 SP2 has a spellcheck disable setting that Office 2013 honours. Typical MS - what a mess - why remove the spellcheck setting in 2013 ADMX's anyway?

This guide here also had some ADMX strings to disable (gray out) certain UI options, so spellcheck and thesaurus can't be clicked on.
    Remove Spelling and Grammar from MS Word - Luke CJ Davis

I did it locally using the local ADMX repository, but it should work for a domain user with the linked GPO anyway.
    It's a bit strange that the exam boards don't have any decent guidelines or even their own certified text editor? (basically they need word count and formatting...) - for something as important as GSCE's it all seems a bit mickey mouse to me

Thank Post
    My thoughts exactly, I've not been in education long, a lot of things are surprising me ;-)

Thank Post
    Why not just use WordPad or Write. It has no spell checker or proofing tools to worry about. We use very basic cheap laptops which are locked down with just windows on it. We don't attach it to the network. This keeps it simple and reliable.

6. Thanks to TurnItOffAndOn from:

themightymrp (12th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnItOffAndOn View Post
    Why not just use WordPad or Write. It has no spell checker or proofing tools to worry about. We use very basic cheap laptops which are locked down with just windows on it. We don't attach it to the network. This keeps it simple and reliable.
    Same here. The exams department are happy to do it that way and it's a lot easier for us!

Thank Post
    We do exactly the same as above and it works no problems . Network is important else they just use google to check spellings

Thank Post
    We do it using a custom mandatory profile on our network, which also has a GPO linked that uses a software restriction policy to disable web browsers, etc.

Easiest way is to a create custom normal.dot and a .dotm templates and set this...
    ImageUploadedByEduGeek1399830220.650213.jpg

Drop me an email / pm and I'll send our settings over.

John Paul

Thank Post
    I'm not sure why we have to use MS Word, first thing I suggested was use Wordpad but they need word count or something?

Thank Post
    Why not just use WordPad or Write. It has no spell checker or proofing tools to worry about.
    I'd never even noticed that Wordpad didn't have a spellcheck! That could save a lot of effort in future Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread