+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Office Software Thread, Excel 2013 crashes on opening in Technical; I'm really hoping someone can help. We have an issue on our network where Excel (2013) will crash on opening. ...

Thank Post

Excel 2013 crashes on opening

I'm really hoping someone can help. We have an issue on our network where Excel (2013) will crash on opening. Here is more detail.

It seems to be triggered by those grey rectangular messages that may pop-up at the beginning when you open a file, such as 'need to update links', 'cannot update links due to one being broken', 'password required', or most commonly 'locked for editing by someone else, would you like read-only?', BUT IT NEVER QUITE GETS THIS FAR, so you never see the message itself.

(BTW: what frustrates my internet searches is that there has been a lot of recent issues with false Excel file locks. This is not our issue.) Other people genuinely have got the file open, so there is a genuine and appropriate lock. But the second user never gets the chance to click 'read only' and continue.

IF THEY OPEN THE FILE FROM WINDOWS EXPLORER (after someone else has already got it open), the Excel 2013 green intro box pops up as normal as the program loads to open the file. But it hangs there. You can use the cross at top right of the green intro box. Then launch Excel again. Nothing. Then again, and message will tell you something like 'Excel cannot be stopped at the moment'. Then you get the choice to restart the program.

IF YOU OPEN EXCEL FIRST AND BROWSE TO THE FILE FROM WITHIN PROGRAM then the notification such as 'file locked' opens JUST FINE and there is no problem because you get to click 'read-only' and continue.

When trying to open from Explorer, it is almost as if the component of Excel 2013 that will display the grey message box needs to be launched first, but isn't and so the program gets stuck unable to display the message. I have hoped that this, that, or the other update would solve our problems, but it hasn't happened and I need to seek wider advice.

Any ideas? We are Win7 x64. We did not have this problem when we had Office 2010, but we also went to a 64bit OS about the same time as we went to Office 2013.
    Last edited by OxMB; 3rd March 2014 at 06:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Have you tried the new service pack ? You never know....

Thank Post
    Chris - pinned my hopes on the service pack. But just tested for the issue on two machines with Office 2013 SP1 installed recently. The bug presented itself, just as ugly as ever.

On a large site with many workbooks being viewed by many people, viewings will inevitably overlap. People don't necessarily want shared editing, but they do want to be able to click Read-Only. They don't want the program to crash if they accidently open a spreadsheet through Explorer. So its a fairly bad bug really.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts

Excel 2013 crashes on opening

Not sure how much this helps as not had experience with Excel 2013 however just from experience of Excel 2010 :

1) Ensure the excel file is shared correctly, have had it on some excel files where it shows as shared and we have had to disable sharing and then re-enable sharing on the excel file ( by getting the creator of said excel file to open the excel file and be the only person with it opened ) to do the disabling and re-enabling of the sharing of the excel file and then test ie get other users to launch the excel file, linky to an article, not sure how good the instructions are , you may be able to find a better article, I appreciate this is for 2010 so not sure how relevant the steps or instructions are but will need to ensure that you have given the relevant people access rights to this shared excel file within excel whilst you are sharing the relevant excel document : How To Share Files In Excel 2010

2) The shared area of where the excel file is contained ( whether it is a shared unc path / folder on a shared drive ie R Drive or whatever ) that each user has relevant permissions ie NTFS access rights to read / write to the excel file correctly

3) Within both Internet Options --> Security tab to add the path or failing that at least the FQDN of the domain so that Internet Security settings for both Intranet and trusted sites will trust the shared area on the domain

4) Within Excel, I think it is within the trust centre settings ( Open excel --> File --> Options --> Trust Centre --> Trust Centre Settings --> Trusted Locations --> add new location button --> either navigate to the root directory or type the path out to the root directory of where all the excel documents are located. You can add the full path to where the Excel file(s) are stored and tick a tick box to trust all documents within sub-directories of that path

See attached screen grab ( ensure to tick the tick box so as to include all sub-directories )

exceltrust.PNG
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 3rd March 2014 at 08:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for your help mac_shinobi.

Its getting late now, and I shall look through some of your suggestions tomorrow.

However, looking at your point no.1 it seems you are talking about shared workbooks. I'm afraid I'm not.

I'm talking about situations where a file is locked for editing, then a second user can't even click to view Read-Only because that box doesn't appear - Excel has already hung before it even gets to display the 'this file is locked' message.
    Last edited by OxMB; 3rd March 2014 at 07:32 PM.

6. Thanks to OxMB from:

mac_shinobi (3rd March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does this happen when opening the file from a local memory stick rather than share?

8. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

mac_shinobi (3rd March 2014)

Thank Post
    ZeroHour, the main example I raised was where someone else already had the file open and the grey box giving the read-only option didn't appear.

It would not be possible to test this using a memory stick. You'd have to share the memory stick so that two people could attempt to open the file. But then it would be a share!

I could test re the other grey boxes you can get when an Excel file opens, like 'cannot update links'. I need to investigate the circumstances in which they cause a problem too. I suspect it may also be when someone else has the file open.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OxMB View Post
    ZeroHour, the main example I raised was where someone else already had the file open and the grey box giving the read-only option didn't appear.

It would not be possible to test this using a memory stick. You'd have to share the memory stick so that two people could attempt to open the file. But then it would be a share!

I could test re the other grey boxes you can get when an Excel file opens, like 'cannot update links'. I need to investigate the circumstances in which they cause a problem too. I suspect it may also be when someone else has the file open.
    What permissions are applied to the share and ntfs?
    If possible can you grab a screenshot of the advanced permissions for a group the user is a member of. There are a few quirks with hidden temporary files if I recall which can have issues with certain permissions.

Thank Post
    ZeroHour, thanks for your input.

It doesn't matter whether you are an admin with every tick in the Allow column and no ticks in the Deny column. It still happens.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ZeroHour, thanks for your input.

It doesn't matter whether you are an admin with every tick in the Allow column and no ticks in the Deny column. It still happens.
    Do you redirect user profile appdata folders at all?
    Just running through a list of things that can cause weirdness.

Thank Post
    I've just found a machine where it doesn't happen. Now to find out what's special about it.

Thank Post
    Maybe make the spreadsheet a shared workbook and see if that resolves the issues ?

Thank Post
    mac_shinobi, that might be an interesting experiment. But this happens with any spreadsheet. We are not going to make all spreadsheets shared workbooks. Shared workbooks are for when you wish to collaborate in creating the spreadsheet. I am talking about the scenario where only one person should edit it, but loads of people need to be able to look at it from time to time.

Now that I have found a computer where the problem does not occur, my focus will be on comparing it to other computers. I may even add software, change permissions, change policy, change location of this good machine toward the bad machines and see what breaks it.

16. Thanks to OxMB from:

mac_shinobi (5th March 2014)

Thank Post
    mac_shinobi, that might be an interesting experiment. But this happens with any spreadsheet. We are not going to make all spreadsheets shared workbooks. Shared workbooks are for when you wish to collaborate in creating the spreadsheet. I am talking about the scenario where only one person should edit it, but loads of people need to be able to look at it from time to time.

Now that I have found a computer where the problem does not occur, my focus will be on comparing it to other computers. I may even add software, change permissions, change policy, change location of this good machine toward the bad machines and see what breaks it.
    Just wondering the file type associations on the computers - what file type / extension does an excel 2013 create versus 2010 that you are saying you used to use before ?

Also if you look at the default associations for file types for excel spreadsheets, does it link the excel 2013 file type or extension to excel as the default application or do these computers still have other versions of office installed ie 2010 ?

As you mentioned above regards to when opening Excel 2013 and going through it that way it prompts to view it in read only mode and then opens it straight away versus if you try to launch the file ie double click the excel file --> it launches excel 2013 splash screen and won't go any further.

Just wondering if there are any options within excel to load an excel workbook straight away in read only mode if it cant be opened fully ie in edit mode ( whatever it is called )

Thank Post

SOLUTION! This is Smart Technology related

I know it's been a while since I last updated this. I wanted to let you all know the cause of, and solution to the problem.

We use Smart interactive whiteboards here. With it comes Smart Notebook and Smart drivers. I can't remember exactly which part of their software suite it is (perhaps Smart Ink), but it installs Add-Ins for the MS Office Suite.

Within MS Excel, if you go to File>Options>Add-Ins and within the COM section disable the Smart add-in you'll see there, the problem then disappears! NOTE for new people to this post, the problem that disappears is the EXACT one I have described, please do not confuse this with some other Excel problems.

There are various Smart related Add-Ins (I think), but we could find no adverse effects from disabling the particular add-in I described.

It is rather surprising that Smart Tech's add-ins interfere with the type of MS Office functionality I have been discussing in this thread. I believe my boss has checked that our Smart software version is not that old. Not too pleased with Smart's software development testing in this respect.

19. 2 Thanks to OxMB:

edutech4schools (7th June 2014), Valyyn (3rd September 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast