+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Office Software Thread, Excel 2013 crashes on opening in Technical; This is far from the only compatibility problem SMART Ink has with both Office and other standard applications. My favourite ...

Thank Post
    This is far from the only compatibility problem SMART Ink has with both Office and other standard applications. My favourite is how at one point it was interfering with the current version of IE (at the time) so that a random selection of websites would simply display an entirely blank page (including our on-premises OWA).

I have disabled SMART Ink across the entire site. Not a single person has complained.

Thank Post
    Within MS Excel, if you go to File>Options>Add-Ins and within the COM section disable the Smart add-in you'll see there, the problem then disappears! NOTE for new people to this post, the problem that disappears is the EXACT one I have described, please do not confuse this with some other Excel problems.

I have 1 laptop with this issue, odd that the rest are all ok. Cheers

Thank Post
    I've only skimmed this so apologies if I'm repeating anything but we have what sounds like a similar issue which I think is to do with file associations because "open with" and then selecting the correct application and it is fine.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OxMB View Post
    I know it's been a while since I last updated this. I wanted to let you all know the cause of, and solution to the problem.

We use Smart interactive whiteboards here. With it comes Smart Notebook and Smart drivers. I can't remember exactly which part of their software suite it is (perhaps Smart Ink), but it installs Add-Ins for the MS Office Suite.

Within MS Excel, if you go to File>Options>Add-Ins and within the COM section disable the Smart add-in you'll see there, the problem then disappears! NOTE for new people to this post, the problem that disappears is the EXACT one I have described, please do not confuse this with some other Excel problems.

There are various Smart related Add-Ins (I think), but we could find no adverse effects from disabling the particular add-in I described.

It is rather surprising that Smart Tech's add-ins interfere with the type of MS Office functionality I have been discussing in this thread. I believe my boss has checked that our Smart software version is not that old. Not too pleased with Smart's software development testing in this respect.
    Just wanted to say thank you - had the exact same issue and this was a massive help - it was a really awkward thing to be searching for!

Thank Post
    Hi, did you ever get a permanent solution for this? I have exactly the same problem, and Smart Tech are saying I need to un-install and reinstall Smart notebook and all its affiliates. With 90 classrooms running this its a pain in the backside.....

Thank Post
    Sounds like a dodgy build to me.

Thank Post
    Our solution is in place now - one of my colleagues set up an Office 2013 GPO which disables the Smart add-in across the domain. I'll ask him to pop on and put more info if you want! We've not had any complaints since (and it's been a few days now), so looking good.

8. Thanks to Valyyn from:

berkshireicttech (23rd September 2014)

Thank Post
    I think that's the best bet, I know if I disable the addon, there will be some maths teachers who are not happy with the way Excel works with the Smartboard, but I think its better it opens then not at all. Smart say they they are not going to fix this with 11.4 and instead the fix has been applied to the latest paid version. Bit of a kick in the teeth when you have around 90 boards.

I would like to know if its "smart ink" or office ink" that is being disabled, if you could find that out I would really appreciate it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12