+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, .TMP Files Been Created Instead of Excel or Word Files in Technical; Hi All i am currently running server 2003(virtual) fileservers, with windows 7 clients running both office 2010 and 2013 i ...

Thank Post

.TMP Files Been Created Instead of Excel or Word Files

Hi All

i am currently running server 2003(virtual) fileservers, with windows 7 clients running both office 2010 and 2013

i am getting a lot of users complaining they are finding .TMP files in place of their work, mainly excel or word documents, i have been able to restore some from backups where the user has noticed in time.
    things i have tried are;

1. changing the extension back
    2. tried turning autosave off

i am currently re-installing the anti-virus software across the site, we use sophos, i have set the new policies to only scan on read access, prevously on access scanning was set to read rename and write.

has anyone solved this problem, im not confident that the antivirus is to blame, could it be anything to do with the files been stored on a SAN?

Any help, greatly appreciated

thanks

Kev

Thank Post
    Not sure why they are in PLACE of your files, they should be along side it.

I thought TMP files came from closing the file incorrectly, is this from specific machines or accounts?

Thank Post
    thanks for the response

its in a school environment, so the users are moving from machine to machine, up until a week or so ago, students didnt have a profile, could this be the cause? we have sometimes found the work on the machine it was created on

thanks

Kev

Thank Post
    I believe @fiza might be able to answer this, if I'm correct he works in a school in London?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It may be down to file permissions, what permissions do the users have? Do they have full control in that area?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

.TMP Files Been Created Instead of Excel or Word Files

If you haven't already install the enterprise hotfix rollup.

Also the latest office service pack and cumulative updates.
    Last edited by psydii; 12th February 2014 at 03:42 PM.

Thank Post
    99% percent of the time its students who have the problem, they save everything to desktop, it appears that some files (not all files for some reason) save to the local profile desktop, leaving a .TMP file on the network HomeDrive, the users dont have access to the C drive, they can still access the work on the machine they created it on, if they can remember

some files save to the network first time round then after modification turn to TMP file, we have sometimes been able to restore these if told in time, i tried creating a mandatory profile in hope that it stop these file been saved to local disk, but they appear to stop the student logging in to that machine, its driving me crazy

any one know the best way to tackle it, or is it looking like logging on every student machine and taking a copy of local profiles, then merging them together so i can use as a search tool for any requests, obviously i would have to delete the local profiles once copied then enable all students mandatory profiles again

thanks

Kev

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradlys View Post
    I believe @fiza might be able to answer this, if I'm correct he works in a school in London?
    I do work in a school in London but unfortunately I don't think I have come across this problem before.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When we we happy that the hotfixes rollup and additional hotfixes improved the situation we did three things:

0) Applied the performance tweaks to the servers from here: Performance Tuning Guidelines for previous versions of Windows Server
    1) Deployed the Enterprise Hotfix Rollup (servers and clients) and the Office Cumulative Updates
    2) Backed up every single c:\users on client workstations to folder to a central location so we could continue to recover work...
    3) Over a weekend: Set GPO applies to client machines to delete profiles older than 1 day, and format the offline files database. Rebooted client machines on a Sunday. Reversed changes in the GPO. Removed server side profile folders.

Monday morning - problems were gone and everybody got new clean profiles.

We could still trigger the creation of TMP files in certain circumstances when the server's file cache was too small. Basically if you run RAMMAP on your files server and it isn't showing a value for "mapped files" that works out to be at least 25Mb per client machine you need to give it more RAM (or you have some sort of memory leak).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread