+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Office Software Thread, Can I upgrade Microsoft Office on all our machines via server? in Technical; Originally Posted by 3s-gtech The xml file should be customised by the admin install setup itself, you shouldn't need to ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    The xml file should be customised by the admin install setup itself, you shouldn't need to manually change it, just make sure it's in the correct location mentioned in the batch script.
    It's definitely in the right location. Still not installing...!

Thank Post
    Sometimes the install is cancelled if it struggles to remove the old version - I found on some XP machines that I couldn't uninstall Office 2007/2003 easily. Microsoft provided some Fixit files for just this purpose, which work rather well. How to uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if you cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?

Thank Post
    Sometimes the install is cancelled if it struggles to remove the old version - I found on some XP machines that I couldn't uninstall Office 2007/2003 easily. Microsoft provided some Fixit files for just this purpose, which work rather well. How to uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if you cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?
    Hello- i cant be running a fixit on all our machines as we have over 200. Plus they are all Windows 7.

Thank Post
    Still struggling with this if anyone is still there to help...! I've done all the steps asked and still no joy... I don't know what I am doing wrong or missing. Could it be the filepath of the MS Office setup file? The share is accessible so i cannot understand why it isn't working. Help!

Thank Post
    Bear in mind that my only experience of this is getting it working on my network - I'm no consultant, but for what it's worth, have you tried (as separate tests):

1) installing directly from the setup.exe file
    2) manually running the script (this was the point that I discovered that I needed quote marks around the unc path because it has spaces in it)
    3) put the script in sysvol and run from there

Where are you applying the GPO? I assumed it would be to the computer, but I was wrong - I had to apply it to the user (we run a loop back policy).

Have you checked that the policy is being applied? And what is in it? I found that my policy was being called, but was empty - I think that was to do with having applied it to the machine.

My final GPO had quite a few extra settings in it - I have notes and can give you the details, but can't remember where I found the information that prompted me to make them and I'd rather you had that than just my word

The main ones were about ensuring that UAC didn't stop it, telling it to run startup scripts asynchronously and setting the wait time to 0 seconds (translates to infinity). I'll keep looking for the source and post later.

Hope that helps

Edit: this is where I found the info about UAC
    Last edited by jmak; 18th September 2013 at 08:53 PM.

6. Thanks to jmak from:

marsdenprimary (19th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    Bear in mind that my only experience of this is getting it working on my network - I'm no consultant, but for what it's worth, have you tried (as separate tests):

1) installing directly from the setup.exe file
    2) manually running the script (this was the point that I discovered that I needed quote marks around the unc path because it has spaces in it)
    3) put the script in sysvol and run from there

Where are you applying the GPO? I assumed it would be to the computer, but I was wrong - I had to apply it to the user (we run a loop back policy).

Have you checked that the policy is being applied? And what is in it? I found that my policy was being called, but was empty - I think that was to do with having applied it to the machine.

My final GPO had quite a few extra settings in it - I have notes and can give you the details, but can't remember where I found the information that prompted me to make them and I'd rather you had that than just my word

The main ones were about ensuring that UAC didn't stop it, telling it to run startup scripts asynchronously and setting the wait time to 0 seconds (translates to infinity). I'll keep looking for the source and post later.

Hope that helps

Edit: this is where I found the info about UAC
    Cheers! This article is exactly what i have been looking for- i'll give this a go today and report back. You're a star!

Thank Post
    Still no joy :-( Checked to see if the script could be run manually but i'm getting an access denied line for the ProPlus.ww folder and got a log file with error code 5 in it...

Thank Post
    What are the permissions on the share where the installer is hosted? Check the share and NTFS permissions.

Thank Post
    What are the permissions on the share where the installer is hosted? Check the share and NTFS permissions.
    I've just been doing that and discovered a horrible sudden file and folder permission error. Even though logged onto our server as Admin, with UAC switched off, I am getting 'access Denied' messages when I try to delete the folder (I was going to start from scratch)... WHHHYYYYY do these things happen?!?!?!

Thank Post
    Just to add to my previous post it has also added a user- seemingly at random- who somehow owns the folder and I cannot change ownership, delete the user from the security settings or anything else... what has happened?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marsdenprimary View Post
    Just to add to my previous post it has also added a user- seemingly at random- who somehow owns the folder and I cannot change ownership, delete the user from the security settings or anything else... what has happened?
    ***SOLVED***

Turned out the computer i tested the batch script on was still running something and using a file from the folder. Closed the machine down and managed to be able to delete the folder. Don't know why it added a random user but at least it's gone now!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12