+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26
Office Software Thread, Can I upgrade Microsoft Office on all our machines via server? in Technical; Originally Posted by 3s-gtech The xml file should be customised by the admin install setup itself, you shouldn't need to ...
  1. #16
    marsdenprimary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    488
    Thank Post
    248
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    The xml file should be customised by the admin install setup itself, you shouldn't need to manually change it, just make sure it's in the correct location mentioned in the batch script.
    It's definitely in the right location. Still not installing...!

  2. #17

    3s-gtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    2,821
    Thank Post
    146
    Thanked 572 Times in 516 Posts
    Rep Power
    154
    Sometimes the install is cancelled if it struggles to remove the old version - I found on some XP machines that I couldn't uninstall Office 2007/2003 easily. Microsoft provided some Fixit files for just this purpose, which work rather well. How to uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if you cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?

  3. #18
    marsdenprimary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    488
    Thank Post
    248
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Sometimes the install is cancelled if it struggles to remove the old version - I found on some XP machines that I couldn't uninstall Office 2007/2003 easily. Microsoft provided some Fixit files for just this purpose, which work rather well. How to uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if you cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?
    Hello- i cant be running a fixit on all our machines as we have over 200. Plus they are all Windows 7.

  4. #19
    marsdenprimary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    488
    Thank Post
    248
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Still struggling with this if anyone is still there to help...! I've done all the steps asked and still no joy... I don't know what I am doing wrong or missing. Could it be the filepath of the MS Office setup file? The share is accessible so i cannot understand why it isn't working. Help!

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    522
    Thank Post
    141
    Thanked 75 Times in 67 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    Bear in mind that my only experience of this is getting it working on my network - I'm no consultant, but for what it's worth, have you tried (as separate tests):

    1) installing directly from the setup.exe file
    2) manually running the script (this was the point that I discovered that I needed quote marks around the unc path because it has spaces in it)
    3) put the script in sysvol and run from there

    Where are you applying the GPO? I assumed it would be to the computer, but I was wrong - I had to apply it to the user (we run a loop back policy).

    Have you checked that the policy is being applied? And what is in it? I found that my policy was being called, but was empty - I think that was to do with having applied it to the machine.

    My final GPO had quite a few extra settings in it - I have notes and can give you the details, but can't remember where I found the information that prompted me to make them and I'd rather you had that than just my word

    The main ones were about ensuring that UAC didn't stop it, telling it to run startup scripts asynchronously and setting the wait time to 0 seconds (translates to infinity). I'll keep looking for the source and post later.

    Hope that helps

    Edit: this is where I found the info about UAC
    Last edited by jmak; 18th September 2013 at 08:53 PM.

  6. Thanks to jmak from:

    marsdenprimary (19th September 2013)

  7. #21
    marsdenprimary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    488
    Thank Post
    248
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    Bear in mind that my only experience of this is getting it working on my network - I'm no consultant, but for what it's worth, have you tried (as separate tests):

    1) installing directly from the setup.exe file
    2) manually running the script (this was the point that I discovered that I needed quote marks around the unc path because it has spaces in it)
    3) put the script in sysvol and run from there

    Where are you applying the GPO? I assumed it would be to the computer, but I was wrong - I had to apply it to the user (we run a loop back policy).

    Have you checked that the policy is being applied? And what is in it? I found that my policy was being called, but was empty - I think that was to do with having applied it to the machine.

    My final GPO had quite a few extra settings in it - I have notes and can give you the details, but can't remember where I found the information that prompted me to make them and I'd rather you had that than just my word

    The main ones were about ensuring that UAC didn't stop it, telling it to run startup scripts asynchronously and setting the wait time to 0 seconds (translates to infinity). I'll keep looking for the source and post later.

    Hope that helps

    Edit: this is where I found the info about UAC
    Cheers! This article is exactly what i have been looking for- i'll give this a go today and report back. You're a star!

  8. #22
    marsdenprimary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    488
    Thank Post
    248
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Still no joy :-( Checked to see if the script could be run manually but i'm getting an access denied line for the ProPlus.ww folder and got a log file with error code 5 in it...

  9. #23

    3s-gtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    2,821
    Thank Post
    146
    Thanked 572 Times in 516 Posts
    Rep Power
    154
    What are the permissions on the share where the installer is hosted? Check the share and NTFS permissions.

  10. #24
    marsdenprimary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    488
    Thank Post
    248
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    What are the permissions on the share where the installer is hosted? Check the share and NTFS permissions.
    I've just been doing that and discovered a horrible sudden file and folder permission error. Even though logged onto our server as Admin, with UAC switched off, I am getting 'access Denied' messages when I try to delete the folder (I was going to start from scratch)... WHHHYYYYY do these things happen?!?!?!

  11. #25
    marsdenprimary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    488
    Thank Post
    248
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Just to add to my previous post it has also added a user- seemingly at random- who somehow owns the folder and I cannot change ownership, delete the user from the security settings or anything else... what has happened?

  12. #26
    marsdenprimary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    488
    Thank Post
    248
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by marsdenprimary View Post
    Just to add to my previous post it has also added a user- seemingly at random- who somehow owns the folder and I cannot change ownership, delete the user from the security settings or anything else... what has happened?
    ***SOLVED***

    Turned out the computer i tested the batch script on was still running something and using a file from the folder. Closed the machine down and managed to be able to delete the folder. Don't know why it added a random user but at least it's gone now!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. I can't access the content on Microsoft Office Online
    By boolyn in forum Office Software
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10th June 2013, 04:02 PM
  2. 404 File Not Found on all files accessed via HAP+
    By enjay in forum Home Access Plus+
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 27th September 2011, 04:08 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22nd June 2009, 04:07 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 13th December 2007, 06:02 PM
  5. Microsoft Office on a Domain with Deepfreeze
    By link470 in forum Windows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29th November 2007, 09:48 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •