+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Network Shortcuts in Technical; Hey I am trying to configure Win7 with Office 2013 and have come across a sticky issue that is annoying ...

Thank Post

Network Shortcuts

Hey

I am trying to configure Win7 with Office 2013 and have come across a sticky issue that is annoying and has me pulling my hair out!

I am trying to use a roaming profile and opening files in office works great! However when it comes to Save as... I get two folders as a default options.

Desktop
    My Documents

Clicking on either one of these takes me to their profile folder \Windows\network Shortcuts.

Ideally I would like to remove the desktop folder and just have My Documents. going to browse works just fine, it takes them to the setting I have configured in the GPO (Their my docs area). I am assuming it is a GPO/Appdata issue but just not sure. Anyone come across this or have a fix?

T

Thank Post
    Hi,

I had the same issue with Folder Redirection and Profiles on Server 2012 and I've got some answers for you!
    I've been tearing my hair out trying to work this one out for two days now but here we go...

The default "Recent Folders" in Office 2013's Save As menu contains the two options as you explained, Desktop and Documents.
    When you are clicking these they take you to the "Network Shortcuts" folder in the local roaming profile.

The reason it is doing this seems to be user permissions. I realised this because our Technician users work properly and the staff do not.
    Giving staff our "Technicians" Security Group made Office work again (obviously not the solution we want)!

OUR SETUP...

We've Redirected the user profiles using the Active Directory ("Profile" tab on the user object) and pointed them at a hidden server share.
    \\Server\Profiles$\%USERNAME%
    When the user logs for the first time it creates a folder for the user (%USERNAME%.V2).
    \\Server\Profiles$\aUser.V2

The local computer has got Registry entries in the "User Shell Folders" Key within .DEFAULT that point to %USERPROFILE%/Roaming/<bleh>.
    The user gets a copy of this and one of the entries is "Nethood" which directs to the "Network Shortcuts" folder in the profile.
    When the user logs off it synchronises the local profile up to the user's profile Share on the server (normal Windows process).

Our GPO for Staff restricts access to local drives and folders.
    The user is logged on to the computer with a LOCAL COPY of the server profile.
    C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\<bleh>
    Thus the user's LIVE profile is restricted by Domain Policy.

Because the user's profile is restricted in whatever way it fails to validate/make a network shortcut to the "Desktop" and so Office 2013 fails to open the folder and ends up presenting the "Network Shortcuts" folder instead (this folder is writable by our users it seems).

THE SOLUTION...

As you requested that you don't want the Desktop option I'll share this finding with you first.
    I don't know how to hide the desktop option but we had some accidental success when our Network Manager tried deleting the "Network Shortcuts" folder from a user's profile.
    After deleting the folder, Office 2013 directs the users to "Documents" for whichever Recent Folders option they choose.

The better solution is to use your Folder Redirection GPO to redirect the AppData folder to the same server share as Active Directory does.
    Basic - Redirect everyone to this folder - \\Server\Profiles$\%USERNAME%.V2\AppData

Note the ".V2" after %USERNAME%. This is important. After you save the setting go back into it and you will see it has changed to "Create a subfolder within" and shows an example of \\SERVER\Profiles$\Claire.V2\AppData. If you choose this option straight off you don't get the .V2!

Also go to the "Settings" tab on the Folder redirection and be sure to CLEAR the "Grant user full permission" tick box. Otherwise you won't be able to browse the folders as an administrator (it'll prompt for "Get Access to this folder").
    I've also cleared the "Move contents to new location" too.

The Active directory profile thing will create the folder on first log in and the GPO Folder redirection of AppData will direct the computer directly to the server copy making it LIVE.
    This fixes any permission problems as the user has explicit "Full" permissions and ownership of the profile folder, and therefore the LIVE profile as well.

Now our Office 2013 behaves properly when Saving new files (or Save As).

We've also got a HomeDrives$ share for the User's Documents, Pictures, and all of the other personal data containers.
    It's also set on the "Profile" tab in AD.
    Map Home Drive H: to \\Server\HomeDrives$\%USERNAME%

We also has a GPO for the folder redirections to this UNC path (don't use the Drive Mapping anywhere in case you decide to change the Drive letter later on).
    Same things apply to Folder redirection "Settings" Tab, CLEAR the "Grant user Full Perms" tick box or you won't be able to browse it as an Administrator.

Choose to Direct everyone's folder to the following paths...
    \\Server\HomeDrives$\%USERNAME%\Documents (for Documents redirection)
    \\Server\HomeDrives$\%USERNAME%\Pictures (for Pictures redirection)
    <and so on>
    ...and again notice that going back into it shows "Create a folder for each user" option with an example for Claire.

When you set up your Profiles$ and HomeDrives$ shares be careful what permissions you have (Security Tab). You shouldn't give your Staff Security Group Full access to this, they only need Special Perms to Create a Folder, and only within "This Folder Only" not sub folders or files (have a google for other permissions on profile folders such as adding Creator Owner).
    I found that giving Ownership of the Profiles folder to "Creator Owner" meant that when AD creates a new User's profile it gives Full Ownership to that particular User on the .V2 folder which is what we wanted.

I wrote a PowerShell script that is for the Personal Data shares that grants each user's home folder the correct permissions and ownership. This is possible with the HomeDrives because Active Directory creates these folders immediately when you update the setting.
    We also used PowerShell to pull the Old user data from our Old server as part of the big Migration.
    Please ask if you would like help making such scripts!

Hope all of that info helps you understand what's going on with your Office 2013, Profile Redirection and Folder Redirection too.
    Sorry I didn't figure it out sooner to give you more time to implement it before Start of Term
    Last edited by cstreet; 1st September 2013 at 02:15 AM.

3. Thanks to cstreet from:

eejit (5th February 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread