+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Password protecting an email in Outlook in Technical; Hi I've been asked by the school secretary to find out if it's possible to password protect emails which are ...
    Thank Post

Password protecting an email in Outlook

Hi

I've been asked by the school secretary to find out if it's possible to password protect emails which are sent out from Outlook 2010. She has got emails in which require a password - the message comes through and then the password arrives in a separate email.

I've given her the instructions on how to encrypt an email but apparently this isn't what she wants. Am trying to work out what to suggest to her.

Cheers

Thank Post
    An email can't be passworded, unless you're using client software to encrypt it etc? I know all our schools have been told they need to use Zipped and encrypted files for dealing with external people for data etc, but guessing as you said that already it's not that

Steve

Thank Post
    I'm going to get her to show me an email that she receives and see exactly what she's referring to - I have a feeling it might be a document that's password-protected, not the email then! She seemed pretty adamant it was the email though. We'll see!

Thank Post
    If it's the same kinda thing as what we get it's related to these normally: Using s2s for generic file transfer: mandatory encryption - Data, research and statistics

Basically it's now "needed" to zip it all, and put passwords on. And they won't send it back to you without it etc etc.

(But may well be completly different )

Steve

5. Thanks to Steve21 from:

kaphc (1st July 2013)

Thank Post
    Well .... !! While I was trying to sort it out, I showed her how to protect a document in Word in the meantime. And yep - that was what she wanted all along. We did have a little conversation about how that's not the same as password protecting the email itself :-) Just glad it's another call I can close!

Cheers for the encryption info @Steve21, as it may will still be useful in the future as we try and get sorted with confidential data transmission.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    If it's the same kinda thing as what we get it's related to these normally: Using s2s for generic file transfer: mandatory encryption - Data, research and statistics
    "WinZip, ideally v10.0 or higher, is the Department's chosen method of encryption. At September 2011 the latest version of WinZip was v15.5."
    Typical of government to suggest proprietary software when there is FOSS such as 7-Zip that does exactly the same thing, and better.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Typical of government to suggest proprietary software when there is FOSS such as 7-Zip that does exactly the same thing, and better.
    Aye the irony is we suggested that to many of our primaries, and only 1 accepted it. Rest wanted to pay for Winzip as that's "chosen"

Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread