+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, File in use and cannot be saved... in Technical; This problem can crop up if you have a Server 2008R2/Win7/Office 2010 combination. It doesn't happen for all users, doesn't ...
    Thank Post

File in use and cannot be saved...

This problem can crop up if you have a Server 2008R2/Win7/Office 2010 combination. It doesn't happen for all users, doesn't happen all the time for users who have been affected, less than once a day on average, but when working on an Office file and they click the Save button they get told it is in use and cannot be saved and to try again...if they try again shortly afterwards it seems to work fine. I have researched this on the net and found a number of possibilities, but what I'm asking here is:

Has anyone on here had this problem and found a fix for it, and if so what was that fix please?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    This sounds familiar but I can't quite recall whether we had this exact problem or not. It sounds like an AV problem (AV not releasing a lock on the file after a scan). Does it happen to you? If so, could try running ProcExp and see what process has a lock on the file (if any).

3. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

Gibson335 (8th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    This sounds familiar but I can't quite recall whether we had this exact problem or not. It sounds like an AV problem (AV not releasing a lock on the file after a scan). Does it happen to you? If so, could try running ProcExp and see what process has a lock on the file (if any).
    No, doesn't happen to me, and by the time we find out it has happened to others the moment is long gone...I saw the AV lock mentioned on a forum, but don't believe our Sophos setup would cause this. It's hard to tell how long the lock (if it exists) lasts as the user can usually make it work next click, so it's purely a temporary issue, perhaps over and done in a flash. An irritiant more than a problem.

Thank Post
    Had a similar problem, the files were also being locked for backup too. Running a scandisk on the volume fixed it.

6. Thanks to GeekyPete from:

Gibson335 (8th March 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread