+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Customise Keyboard Shortcuts in Technical; Background I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts in MS Office, many of them built-in. I've just installed Office 2013 ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Customise Keyboard Shortcuts

Background

I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts in MS Office, many of them built-in. I've just installed Office 2013 and come across a bizarrely frustrating problem in Excel.

According to this page on Excel 2013, for example, Keyboard shortcuts in Excel, all the old shortcuts using CTRL should still work:

Keyboard shortcuts that begin with Ctrl will still work in Microsoft Excel 2013. For example, Ctrl+C still copies to the clipboard, and Ctrl+V still pastes from the clipboard.
    Since at least Office 97, the shortcut CTRL+O has brought up the Open dialog. However, in Office 2013, this takes you to Backstage View, where you are presented with options to open a recently used file or to browse for a file on your file system. Clicking on the latter button takes you to further options to select which location you wish to search or, finally, to open up a dialog. That's a somewhat more convoluted process!

So, they've changed the meaning of CTRL+O to mean "Open Backstage View". Okay, so all I need to do is change it to what I want.

The Problem

In Office 2010, if you wanted to customise the keyboard shortcuts, you went to Backstage View -> Customize Ribbon and clicked the button to customise the keyboard.

You can do this in Word 2013 using the same process.

However, it appears you can only do this in Word 2013.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might be able to do this? I looked at the "All Commands" option under Customize Ribbon and, unlike Word, there is no entry for Customize Keyboard. But I'm not sure whether this isn't just some weirdness with my installation, so could someone confirm whether they have the same limitation? It just seems odd that the feature is available in Word, but not elsewhere.

I'm aware that in this case, I could just re-learn to use CTRL+F12 instead, but this isn't really just about this one shortcut.
    Last edited by Pico; 7th March 2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Added structure

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's official... I am going crazy. This feature was removed in Office 2010! Just goes to show, you don't miss a feature until you want to use it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread