+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, What's so great about Office 2013? in Technical; Okay, so I've just installed Windows 8 and Office 2013. First impressions are "wow, that's ugly" but I'll get used ...
    Thank Post

What's so great about Office 2013?

Okay, so I've just installed Windows 8 and Office 2013. First impressions are "wow, that's ugly" but I'll get used to that I'm sure. I guess the question now is, what are the great things in Office 2013 which will make me want to deploy this across the rest of our site?

Let's keep this thread to Office 2013, I've started another one for Windows 8...

Thank Post
    I've just noticed you can open and edit PDFs in Word now.

Thank Post
    Word "converts" the PDF file to an editable word document.

I've had a few strange problems with layout on saving an edited document however..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    I've just noticed you can open and edit PDFs in Word now.
    Allegedly - I've not been able to do that on the couple of instances I've tried!

Thank Post
    It's as simple as opening the file with the Word (desktop) program.

This is probably the cause of my woes:
    pdf.PNG

Thank Post
    What I meant was that I could open the PDF file in Word but not actually change anything - I could move the cursor around, but not delete or add anything. Possibly the specific file I was using...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Allegedly - I've not been able to do that on the couple of instances I've tried!
    I only tried it once, and it worked really well. Was a fairly simple document with a few tables, though. Was pleasantly surprised, especially after I saw the warning @VeryPC_Tom_M posted flash up.

Thank Post
    What I meant was that I could open the PDF file in Word but not actually change anything - I could move the cursor around, but not delete or add anything. Possibly the specific file I was using...
    Just opened the file that worked well + another. The second showed a warning near the menu that I needed to enable editing, but the first allowed me to edit straight away. Odd.

Thank Post
    Its a terrible PDF editor. It takes ages and is hopeless. Worse if the PDF was created using a photocopier. (it doesn't OCR the PDF) so you end up with massive low quality images of text in your word doc. It's not even as good as some free pdf to word converters online.

The feature is so bad I'm amazed they included it. (I'm not ranting, I was genuinely suprised how bad the PDF conversion was considering what a beacon of quality office is)

Thank Post
    Okay, so I've just installed Windows 8 and Office 2013. First impressions are "wow, that's ugly" but I'll get used to that I'm sure. I guess the question now is, what are the great things in Office 2013 which will make me want to deploy this across the rest of our site?

Let's keep this thread to Office 2013, I've started another one for Windows 8...
    Whats so great?

Well you get to pay to upgrade to software thats unnecessary, and you get hours of fun watching productivity slide as you manhandle a touchscreen optimised (throw in your own cough here) GUI on a non touch desktop PC.

Its cheap at twice the price. Oh wait, they halved to cost of Windows 8 in the UK recently because its been doing so well.

Honestly, Office has no new features that justify an upgrade, and the who native PDF support will trash any document thats more elaborate than just plain text.

Almost no review ive read suggests paying for it if you have 2007/2010 and are happy with it.
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 13th March 2013 at 10:49 AM.

Thank Post
    Office 2013 school mini trial:

We have rolled out Office 2013 to a selection of Admin Staff and teachers for a test period.
    This is an update from Office 2007.. so quite a difference for them...

Their have been some positives.. in-line editing in outlook, Powerpoint features.

BUT... mainly negatives

In outlook they are finding the view of the main windows and also the calender unclear and Counter-productive
    They have all begged to have their colourful and clear outlook 2007 back. They have all reported that Everything is so much easier to distinguish

One thing i could help them do was set the background theme to black (or grey?) this at least gave windows and areas in outlook a border so that areas could be distinguished. This is instead of the whole page being white with text plonked on top.

On older spec machines the load times was also significantly slower than 2007. Also when in outllook to switch between calender and mail lagged.
    It required the authentication mode to be switched from NTLM to kerberos, apart from Java not supporting Kerberos this was not too bigger point.

So mainly its been a negative review from our staff members. Its not really whether they like it or prefer it that counts but that it will slow down their workflow that matters.
    Last edited by burgemaster; 20th March 2013 at 01:48 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread