+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, OneNote package will not unpack to network folder in Technical; We're having an issue when trying to open a OneNote package from a shared folder. When the wizard starts for ...
    Thank Post

OneNote package will not unpack to network folder

We're having an issue when trying to open a OneNote package from a shared folder. When the wizard starts for unpacking the file, we select any option other than a local folder we encounter an error.

"OneNote cannot create a new notebook at:
    http://server/resource$/folder/subfolder/"

gives possible reasons as network location unavailable (it is), do not have permission to modify location (I do), path or network name contains invalid characters (don't believe so as some OneNote packages open from this location and some don't), combined path and notebook name exceed path lenght (not even close).

The package contains a default layout for our staff appraisals for HOFs, HODs, etc. to fill in. So they are stored in folders with specific permissions for the appraisee and appraiser to have access and no one else. Permissions should read like so:

appraiser (full)
    appraisee (full)
    administarors (full)
    system (full)

Not sure where the issue is so any help is appreciated. OneNote seems to be a bit funny with shared packages far as I've seen. I posted here not so long ago about users losing all their OneNote data that was supposed to be saved to these same folders after their laptop is re-imaged.

cheers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is it using a webserver to save to? -> "http://" from above path
    If so maybe something to do with WebDAV but that is a strange path for a local site.

Thank Post
    I did find some references to webDAV when researching this issue. IIS is running on this server for our lovely symantec management, but that is it as far as I know. I disabled IIS and web services on the server and it caused OneNote to freeze when unpacking. So it definitely has some effect there.

It is odd that it defaults to this protocol whenever trying to unpack on a network share and I haven't found a way to disable/edit this preference.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by atamakosi View Post
    I did find some references to webDAV when researching this issue. IIS is running on this server for our lovely symantec management, but that is it as far as I know. I disabled IIS and web services on the server and it caused OneNote to freeze when unpacking. So it definitely has some effect there.

It is odd that it defaults to this protocol whenever trying to unpack on a network share and I haven't found a way to disable/edit this preference.
    Perhaps it is specified in the templates themselves. You may be able to specify a different web server? Do you have another server you could enable IIS on to try to unpack to?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread