+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Can't get student saves to home folders on a few, mainly HP clients in Technical; I have a recurring problem where some of our students are experiencing save problems with both HP 625 Laptops running ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Can't get student saves to home folders on a few, mainly HP clients

I have a recurring problem where some of our students are experiencing save problems with both HP 625 Laptops running 32 bit Windows 7 and HP Z200 workstations running Windows 7 64 bit. Saves fine for staff but won't save at all for students yet their home folder is on the desktop and work can be opened from it in Office.

This problem is driving me nuts!!

Thank Post
    If it's only student based, Have you tried adding things like trusted locations for saving to? Could be as silly as students dont have it trusted, staff do.

If you jumped from 2003 to 2010 they've also changed how files are saves (from 2007 upwards), where it creates a temporary file in the middle of saving, which needs to be deleted before the final copy is saved. If the students don't have permissions on certain areas this may cause it to fail too. (Silly places like Temp folder, Word program folder, anywhere shared templates are stored).

If it's randomly happening to all, there were a few patches a while back that broke saves to network shares, but that should affect everyone then.

Steve

3. Thanks to Steve21 from:

speckytecky (8th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You are right Steve, on the affected computers trusted locations are set wrong but trying to change them locally has no affect. Is there a way to do it Globally through Group Policy? What really puzzles me is the fact that the same students using other computers in the school don't have the same problem?

odd or what!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    If it's only student based, Have you tried adding things like trusted locations for saving to? Could be as silly as students dont have it trusted, staff do.

If you jumped from 2003 to 2010 they've also changed how files are saves (from 2007 upwards), where it creates a temporary file in the middle of saving, which needs to be deleted before the final copy is saved. If the students don't have permissions on certain areas this may cause it to fail too. (Silly places like Temp folder, Word program folder, anywhere shared templates are stored).

If it's randomly happening to all, there were a few patches a while back that broke saves to network shares, but that should affect everyone then.

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    You are right Steve, on the affected computers trusted locations are set wrong but trying to change them locally has no affect. Is there a way to do it Globally through Group Policy? What really puzzles me is the fact that the same students using other computers in the school don't have the same problem?

odd or what!
    There are GPOs for setting all of these yes. Are you doing your trusted specifically to a directory, or just enabling the allow network trusted one? (On the accounts that work I mean)

Steve

6. Thanks to Steve21 from:

speckytecky (8th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Any luck?

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have Fridays off! Back in on Monday and it will be the first job to give it a try - I hope, unless some little dear has created a problem of higher priority today!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thinking on a bit more on this one, whilst I'm delighted that @Steve21 has pointed up an area for me to look at with the GP settings I fear this may not be the root of the problem. I have set up a room of Lenovo ThinkCentres running Windows7 64 bit after setting up the HPs and those Lenovos all do the job perfekt - students are able to save work from MS Office 2010 no problem at all. My gut is telling me the problem is something to do with the HP machines specifically, especially as it (student unable to save from MS Office 2010) also happens on some HP625 laptops that are now over a year old.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Delving further it's almost certainly something to do with Windows 7?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Digging a bit in Group Policy I can see that in the Student Policy there is there is an Enabled Default Location for Word and it's currently set at

%HOMESHARE%%HOMEPATH%

does this look right to ye guys?

On the Default Domain Policy this MS Office Setting is not mentioned at all. Would I be right in thinking that by disbling this setting in the Student Policy will see them picking up their home folder just as Staff do without any GP interfering?
    Last edited by speckytecky; 13th November 2012 at 01:48 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread