+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Office Software Thread, 2013 RTM ISO's available on Technet in Technical; Originally Posted by Arthur Even the grey themes pictured above? the grey ones help with dark grey better. but even ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Even the grey themes pictured above?
    the grey ones help with dark grey better. but even so I just think it's still too bright. office 2010 looks better imho.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Question is, is it worth upgrading for Office 2010 users? It looks exactly the same, apart from the GUI is 2D looking and maybe it's better integrated with Office 365... still, is it really worth the upgrade?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Question is, is it worth upgrading for Office 2010 users? It looks exactly the same, apart from the GUI is 2D looking and maybe it's better integrated with Office 365... still, is it really worth the upgrade?
    A good business case for Businesses when looking to intergrate more with the cloud - for schools possibly not.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the link, can never find subscriber downloads when I go through Technet normally.

Downloading now, might take the plunge on my work desktop and definitely update the Preview version on my x100, sits nicely with the Office 365 Preview I'm playing with at the mo.

As for @jamesfed be glad you're not closer to me or I'd be coming over to nick your Surface lol, want to get my hands on one to test
    Last edited by gshaw; 29th October 2012 at 01:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Completely missed this. Installing now.

If I press Crtl+Shift+A will it change the case on the ribbon text as well as the body text?!
    Last edited by Trapper; 29th October 2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Can't type

Thank Post
    @gshaw

Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    As for @jamesfed be glad you're not closer to me or I'd be coming over to nick your Surface lol, want to get my hands on one to test
    Oh don't worry full review + videos + all of the things you can do with it that you can not do with a iPad/aPad coming the moment it arrives! (whenever that is)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    Thoughts on the first 30 minutes:

- The minimalist interface isn't as bad as I feared once you switch to a non-white theme. In white though, it's a travesty; too little visual separation between UI and document content. First thing I added to my list of GP settings to implement.

- The new interface actually suits OneNote better than the old one, in my opinion. As long as it isn't white.

- Something feels... different... with the font rendering (DirectDraw hardware rendering maybe?). Just enough to put me on edge, but I'll probably not notice it in a few days.

- Removing the mail folder icons from Outlook is a horrible step backwards. This makes even less sense when you discover the icons are visible in the Folders view, just not in Mail view.

- Outlook To-Do bar no longer show upcoming appointments (only today's) and won't show more than 1 month's calendar when you widen it. This is annoying. I have a nice wide screen and having that extra detail was useful.

taskpane.png

- Only spotted this once I started taking screenshots: when maximised, Alt+PrtScrn captures the edge of the taskbar below the window and the edge of adjacent windows on a multiple monitor setup. Minor, but will make user guides more tedious to create than ever. Smells like a UI bug as a result of stripping the window edges on Windows 7, and betrays a lack of testing if so.

screenshot.png

- Password-protected sections and per-page history in OneNote? YES PLEASE.

- The 'slow' caret is really annoying when typing. Hopefully I'll get used to it soon.

- BUG: I expanded a contact card earlier and it couldn't close it. Had to quit Outlook to get rid of it.

- Starting with templates view instead of a new blank document is quite nice, but glad I can turn it off for individual applications (I frequently open Excel just to paste in some CSV text, for example).

- Printing emails from Outlook is as butt-ugly as ever.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 30th October 2012 at 06:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Oh, and the Outlook bug where the 'new mail' overlay persists on the taskbar and in the system tray when you mark the message as read in another client (i.e. webmail or phone) is STILL there.

Thank Post
    Is anyone else slightly annoyed that the ribbon titles (the old menu titles) are shouting at us (as in they are ALL CAPS), personally I am not downloading it, as I can't seem to get the stuff through our EES agreement, but I may take a look when it is bumped through the VLSC.

Thank Post
    I don't think it's been released to Software Assurance customers yet (which includes EES); the download is on the TechNet Subscriptions site but you only get a handful of single-use keys.

Everyone with SA gets a single TechNet login to use which is handy for getting a heads-up on this sort of thing, which I'm doing so I can see what needs doing for the rollout when the VLK download is available along with KMS keys.

11. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

BKGarry (30th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Oh, and I just noticed that the Recent Documents list from 2007/2010 (including pinned items) does not carry over into Office 2013.

That is just great.

Thank Post
    Office 2013, Exchange 2013 and Lync 2013 are up on Software Assurance to download....

KMS keys aren't available for another week.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 31st October 2012 at 09:05 AM.

14. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

AngryTechnician (31st October 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12