+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Office 2007 Apps "Not Responding" on save in Technical; Hi all, Since coming back there now seems to be a weird problem with office 2007 apps (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, ...
    HCC
    Thank Post

Question Office 2007 Apps "Not Responding" on save

Hi all,

Since coming back there now seems to be a weird problem with office 2007 apps (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher and Access) Users can open Word documents from network drives, or create a new document, when they press the save button(after successfuly browsing their h the dialog box greys and an a (Not responding) message appears on the title. The computer is still usable for other things and if they leave the computer alone, the document is eventually (After 5 mins or more) saved. Not ideal when they all come to save at the end of a lesson.
    It is only office that is affected, any other program saves without delay.
    It must of been something that changed over the summer that caused it, but I'm not sure what. File servers are the same (Running 2008 R2), sofware and image are the same...
    I had a very similar problem when I was setting up a new Windows 7 suite, but this was resolved by setting the Web Client service to automatic. The computers that are affected already have this service automatic and running, and are XP OS.
    Staff, and administrators do not have this save problem using the same machine that would cause a student a problem.

I'm currenty thinking it could be:
    • Network traffic related, but I have no way of measuring how the network is performing, I installed wireshark but its all gibberish to me. Our switches are mainly 3com 4400s
    • Printer related - No printers have changed, but I've seen office do stupid things if it's waiting for a printer to respond.
    • DFS related - Our file shares use DFS
    • Windows Update related

Has anyone else had this, and solved it, or can suggest anything else to try?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HCC View Post
    Hi all,

Since coming back there now seems to be a weird problem with office 2007 apps (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher and Access) Users can open Word documents from network drives, or create a new document, when they press the save button(after successfuly browsing their h the dialog box greys and an a (Not responding) message appears on the title. The computer is still usable for other things and if they leave the computer alone, the document is eventually (After 5 mins or more) saved. Not ideal when they all come to save at the end of a lesson.
    It is only office that is affected, any other program saves without delay.
    It must of been something that changed over the summer that caused it, but I'm not sure what. File servers are the same (Running 2008 R2), sofware and image are the same...
    I had a very similar problem when I was setting up a new Windows 7 suite, but this was resolved by setting the Web Client service to automatic. The computers that are affected already have this service automatic and running, and are XP OS.
    Staff, and administrators do not have this save problem using the same machine that would cause a student a problem.

I'm currenty thinking it could be:
    • Network traffic related, but I have no way of measuring how the network is performing, I installed wireshark but its all gibberish to me. Our switches are mainly 3com 4400s
    • Printer related - No printers have changed, but I've seen office do stupid things if it's waiting for a printer to respond.
    • DFS related - Our file shares use DFS
    • Windows Update related

Has anyone else had this, and solved it, or can suggest anything else to try?

Did you ever come up with a solution? I have been suffering from this issue for about 18 months.....I think it's a combination of the older version of office being 32 bit, and windows 7 being 64 bit....as well as network browsing issues.

Edit: I did find this Microsoft post saying the issue is related to mapped drives. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313937
    Last edited by mitchd123; 10th October 2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: found answer

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread