Norton Ghost v14
Hi, I have a really stupid question with regards to Norton Ghost v14.
I was under the impression that you could make a mirror image of the hard drive and then create a bootable CD/DVD from that which could then be used to automatically format the hard drive and image it.
I am able to do backups on the drive etc. but I canít see any option for creating a bootable disc. After reading around a bit it seems it was possible to do this with Ghost 2003.
If anyone could shed any light on this that would be great.
What exatly do you want to do. Normally the CD is used to boot to the network then map the ghost share with net use. All images and the ghost program itself is stored on the share that is located on a server.
Are you referring to the enterprise product 'Ghost' or the consumer product 'Ghost'?
I only have the home version at the moment for testing purposes. None of the computers are going to be connected up to a network.
I basically want to mirror one machine and create a bootable disc that can be used to image the rest (they are identical builds).
Then you will need commercial ghost not home version. You will also need a network boot disk and a network share that you can store images on.
If you dont have knowledge of dos commands and basic networking it may be quite hard for you to achieve.
Basically the steps involved are:
* Create a network share on a dedicated server that has at least 150GB or starge space free for Ghost Images, ensure that the network share is on the same network as the machines that you are wishing to Ghost.
* Download Hirens Boot CD from and Burn the ISO to a Blank CD.
* Connect your Master Machine to the network and boot to Hirens Boot CD
* Follow the one screen menu, and navigate to Ghost, I think it is under the option for Hard Disk Cloning.
* Select the version of Ghost that specifies "Ghost With Network Support"
* This will then boot the Master Machine onto the network to get a IP, assuming you are running DHCP. Otherwise you can specify an IP and other settings on the prompt that pops up whilst the machine is booting to the network.
* Once the machine has booted to the network, you will be shown a basic DOS prompt. At this prompt you will need to enter the commands:
net use g: \\servername\sharename
* You will be prompted for and password and possible a username, enter both those details.
* Load ghost by typing "ghost" at the command prompt.
* Follow the on screen instruction to make a image from disk and store it on the network share you have just connected.
Thank you very much, I shall give that a try.