+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, MDT 2012 - Few annoying things?!? in Technical; Hi Everyone, I have recently taken over at a primary school and have decided to set up MDT 2012 and ...

Thank Post

MDT 2012 - Few annoying things?!?

Hi Everyone,

I have recently taken over at a primary school and have decided to set up MDT 2012 and use WDS to PXE boot ect...

Ive never used it before so tried it on a test network - was suprised by how easy it was to set up and create an image, There was just a few annoying things:

1. The windows PE part keeps asking for regional settings - can i stop it from doing this?
    2. At what part do i join the PC to the domain? (I did it in Windows PE when deploying the image - Is the the best way?)
    3. When the image deployed it logged in - i just want it to come up with the login page rather than completly log in?
    4. do i put ALL the software in the image? (Apart from AV)

We use SCCM at the secondary school i work at so ive got use to using that - but i didnt set it up so i was unsure on these few things. Apart from that i managed to create and deploy with no errors.

Thanks for any replys.
    Last edited by Clkj; 14th July 2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Added a question

Thank Post
    I assume you have built a 'Media Image' and that by saying Windows PE you mean light touch deployment (which uses Windows PE) then will go from there

1. In Rules add the following beneth [Default]
    TimeZoneName=GMT Standard Time
    TimeZone=085
    UserLocale=en-GB
    UILanguage=en-GB
    SkipLocaleSelection=Yes

That should scrub out it asking about regional settings

2. In media rules you can set it to domain join automaticly if you want using these settings (again below default)

SkipDomainMembership=YES
    JoinDomain=yourdomainnamehereinfqdn
    DomainAdmin=Administrator
    DomainAdminDomain=yourdomainnamehereinfqdn
    DomainAdminPassword=yourdomainadminpassword

3. Let it login - that is part of the setup and at that stage will install any applications
    4. You can do if you want to, we add things like AV (Sophos) and Outlook in as applications and leave the rest to App-V.

Enjoy!

Thank Post
    Oh and update the media image after you have made the changes and re import the WIM file into WDS.

Thank Post
    Thanks - I will try this on Monday!

I thought you couldn't put an Sophos in an image?? And the login thig is annoying because it means I can't just leave it to do it like In can at the other school - but I supose that's the difference between ZTI and LTI.

Thanks for your help.

Thank Post
    Look in the MDT help for the HideShell option.

Thank Post
    RE Sohpos ect I meant it as put them in applications (to install) as part of the MDT task sequence.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    RE Sohpos ect I meant it as put them in applications (to install) as part of the MDT task sequence.
    Ah okay - I misunderstood what you said. I'll have a look at that on Monday. At the other school I work at a script checks if Sophos is installed when the computer boots (every time ) then installs it if it isn't. Your way sounds easier!

That hide shell thing looks good aswell. It still doesn't log you off the administrator account though - but that don't matter much.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Clkj View Post
    Ah okay - I misunderstood what you said. I'll have a look at that on Monday. At the other school I work at a script checks if Sophos is installed when the computer boots (every time ) then installs it if it isn't. Your way sounds easier!

That hide shell thing looks good aswell. It still doesn't log you off the administrator account though - but that don't matter much.

Thanks
    I have mine ask when joining the domain and it also has OUs in a drop down on the screen (in the lite touch interface) it also does not log back in after the final reboot.

I can omit some information from my silent settings and post it if you would like? Lots of trial and error with ours. I spend a lot of time in SCCM/MDT.

9. Thanks to qcomer from:

Clkj (15th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Clkj View Post
    It still doesn't log you off the administrator account though - but that don't matter much.
    There could be an issue with your deployment if it is not logging off at the end. In your rules section, you can add the SkipFinalSummary=Yes and FinishAction=Reboot/Logoff/Restart or Shutdown commands. However, if you already have these and it isn't working as expected I would suggest you have an element of the task sequence that is not completing properly as that is what I had happen at one stage - can't remember off hand what caused it though, sorry!

Dave

11. 2 Thanks to djones:

Clkj (15th July 2012), jamesfed (15th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by djones View Post
    There could be an issue with your deployment if it is not logging off at the end. In your rules section, you can add the SkipFinalSummary=Yes and FinishAction=Reboot/Logoff/Restart or Shutdown commands. However, if you already have these and it isn't working as expected I would suggest you have an element of the task sequence that is not completing properly as that is what I had happen at one stage - can't remember off hand what caused it though, sorry!

Dave
    Never knew about FinishAction - cheers for that!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by qcomer View Post
    I have mine ask when joining the domain and it also has OUs in a drop down on the screen (in the lite touch interface) it also does not log back in after the final reboot.

I can omit some information from my silent settings and post it if you would like? Lots of trial and error with ours. I spend a lot of time in SCCM/MDT.
    That would be very helpfull thankyou.

Quote Originally Posted by djones View Post

Dave
    I havent put any of this info in - I didnt know you could. Where do i write this? Also where do i write the part about automatically joining it to the domain?

Sorry ive never really used it before!

Thanks for your help.

Thank Post
    Same place as before in Media > Rules and below [Default]

15. Thanks to jamesfed from:

Clkj (15th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Same place as before in Media > Rules and below [Default]
    Thanks - I might give this a go now on my virtual machines. Im expected to do a role out of Windows 7 to 90 computers next Monday using this. I think ill have to make 4 images aswell. All on something i have practically no experience in!

Do they have to be in a certain order?

Also i just booted in PE and its set the keyboard as US-English and wont let me change it. The locale settings still show up i just cant edit it? is that whats suppose to happen?

Thanks
    Last edited by Clkj; 15th July 2012 at 08:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Sorry to be a pain. All the scrpt worked thanks. Apart from selecting keyboard as english uk.

One more question - The local administrator account? Can i set the password for it? I cant seem to log on?

Thanks
    Last edited by Clkj; 15th July 2012 at 10:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Same place as usual you want

AdminPassword=yourlocaladminpasswordhere

Forgot to mention this should help you with keyboard

KeyboardLocale=0809:00000809

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast