+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, How do you set up your collections? in Technical; Just setting up SCCM2007 for the first time (need it now, will look at 2012 later) and right now, all ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Blog Entries

How do you set up your collections?

Just setting up SCCM2007 for the first time (need it now, will look at 2012 later) and right now, all I want to do is get FEP ready to push out to Windows 7 and I'll look at the rest of the possibilities later (although not OS deployment, contrary to the forum - FOG already does that for us).

I'm guessing I can just set up a collection for all Windows 7 machines to push FEP out to, but it does have me thinking: how do you all use collections for deploying software?

At the moment we only use MSIs with GPOs, and beyond an Essentials GPO for Flash, Java etc. every package gets its own GPO as they often end up being assigned rather randomly - e.g. Science have booked the tech computer room for a lesson, need package X, can I push it out in time please.

I don't want to start creating a security group for every SCCM software package to replicate this, so wondered what the various approaches were. Do you just have "IT rooms" as a collection and push all IT-related software to that collection? Do you then add other rooms into that collection if you suddenly need the software elsewhere? Do you just use collections tied to AD OUs?

(a lot of this comes from the fact I've forgotten everything I learnt about collections and what they actually represent, and I havenae the time to go through TechNet again this close to needing it all just working. Can I push software to multiple collections? Can computers be in multiple collectons? Will we ever find out why toast always lands butter side down? So many questions, so little time)

Thank Post
    In 2007 I created manual groups and directly added them.

In 2012 I link to OUs, nice and simple.

Computers can be in any number of collections and software can be advertised to any number of collections.

2012 is much better tighter product, highly recommend switching to this.

3. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

sonofsanta (17th July 2012)

Thank Post
    I create an AD group called, say, Office 2010 - then add all the PCs that I want Office 2010 to be deployed to , to that group
    I then create a Collection in SCCM with a query that populates that Collection with the members of the group...

The rest of my Collections are created to mimic my AD layout - however in SCCM 2007 this is a manual procoess of creating collections and then a query to read the appropriate OU so that it populates with the members of the OU..

I can post screenshots and queries if needed

5. Thanks to Gatt from:

sonofsanta (13th July 2012)

Thank Post
    You do know 2012 is available? And if you are currently licensed for System Center with SA, then you can go straight to it?

James

7. Thanks to CAWJames from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    I create an AD group called, say, Office 2010 - then add all the PCs that I want Office 2010 to be deployed to , to that group
    I then create a Collection in SCCM with a query that populates that Collection with the members of the group...

The rest of my Collections are created to mimic my AD layout - however in SCCM 2007 this is a manual procoess of creating collections and then a query to read the appropriate OU so that it populates with the members of the OU..

I can post screenshots and queries if needed
    I do it the same as @Gatt. Application groups in AD which individual computers and/or Location groups are members of, and Collection membership based on AD group membership.

9. Thanks to gybe78 from:

Thank Post
    Quick screenshot of my layout:

SCCM Colls.PNG

GCS = This mimics my OUs in AD
    Software Deployment = All the sub collections are populated using AD groups
    zz_Builtin Collections = These are the standard collections that ship with SCCM - I have a VBScript that moves them to this collection so they stay tucked away..

Here's an example of my AD Group Query:

Code:
    select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.SystemGroupName = "GCS\\G SCCM - BGInfo"

11. Thanks to Gatt from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I thought the licensing for SC2012 had switched to a per-processor license? At the moment I have the various management suites renewed annually along with the EES stuff, SysCtrSvrMgmtSteDataCtr, SysCtrCnfgMgrSvrwSQL and SysCtrSvrMgmtSteDataCtr.

My renewal is due in a couple of weeks so this may be a good time to switch if I need to, mind.

Also: my SCCM runs as a VM so how does the processor licensing work with that?
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 13th July 2012 at 03:20 PM.

Thank Post
    The transfer of licences is one that you get a certain amount of licences of 2012 in exchange for your 2007 licences.

See this document for ratios : http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...6fwBoBon1imntA

Thank Post
    And, if you log into the MS VLSC and check your licence entitlement, you should find numbers in the SC 2012 boxes, showing how many you are entitled too.

As far as I know, 1 virtual machine = 1 SC2012 licence needed.

James

15. Thanks to CAWJames from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAWJames View Post
    And, if you log into the MS VLSC and check your licence entitlement, you should find numbers in the SC 2012 boxes, showing how many you are entitled too.

As far as I know, 1 virtual machine = 1 SC2012 licence needed.

James
    Code:
    Servers		System Center DataCenter	2012	1
    Servers		System Center Standard	2012	2
    Hmmm... tempting. Although annoying, as I just (just!) got bl%&dy native mode working in 2007...!

With 4 days of term left, I am tempted to give this a crack next Monday, and upgrade to 2012 now while the only installed agent is on a Win7 test VM.

Thank Post
    Do you actually need native mode? I was told it was more of an arse than was it was worth. Unless you need the super secret squirellynes of the full https though.

James

Thank Post
    I find Native mode helps with regards to Conflicting records that plagues me with Mixed Mode
    Getting the same fun here as they are in mixed mode, and I'm trying to convince them to go to native mode..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAWJames View Post
    Do you actually need native mode? I was told it was more of an arse than was it was worth. Unless you need the super secret squirellynes of the full https though.

James
    It just seemed that if something was worth doing, it was worth doing right. And it's been an occasional pain, but not overly so - although as I haven't yet started using SCCM properly yet, it may turn out that it's a massive pain and I just don't know yet.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    I find Native mode helps with regards to Conflicting records that plagues me with Mixed Mode
    Getting the same fun here as they are in mixed mode, and I'm trying to convince them to go to native mode..
    Are 2012's requirements for Native similar to 2007? As the PKI is all set up ready (finally, stupid SHA1 client cert requirement, CA was set higher than that) so it could potentially be as easy to set it up again Native as in Mixed.

Thank Post
    I believe the requirements are the same, when I was looking into it. But I could be wrong!

James

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast