+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
O/S Deployment Thread, How do you set up your collections? in Technical; Originally Posted by sonofsanta I don't want to get into custom logins and what have you but there are two ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I don't want to get into custom logins and what have you but there are two options that would be worth a bit of effort to get working:
    1) All users can access Software Center, but installing anything prompts for an admin login (to be tapped in by $ITperson)
    2) Domain admins can access Software Center and install stuff for all users
    I suspect the latter is true anyway, but I've only deployed FEP so far which works differently to normal packages in 2012 so not sure. If we could get the former working, though, it would make random software requests much easier to deal with.
    1 wont work. 2 will but here here's a bit more on how 2012 works and you might find some other ways that'll suit you:

Everyone has access to software center. Not much you can do about that.

2012 Clients can have 4 install settings: all users, admins, admins and power users, no-one.

If you target users rather than computers, you can use approvals. With approvals you can target everyone and allow everyone to install but you'll still have to approve/deny the installs. Without approvals (only machine targeting), you are limited to the 4 basic client settings.

2. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

sonofsanta (19th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 999 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Everyone has access to software center. Not much you can do about that.
    Redirected Start Menu & Desktop. Already solved

Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    2012 Clients can have 4 install settings: all users, admins, admins and power users, no-one.

If you target users rather than computers, you can use approvals. With approvals you can target everyone and allow everyone to install but you'll still have to approve/deny the installs. Without approvals (only machine targeting), you are limited to the 4 basic client settings.
    I suspect it will still be easier to target machines, with both our current way of working and the timetabling. For those programs that will deploy from SCCM I'll set up a security group; if a computer needs software adding, it can just be added to the group and restarted. Which is much as we deal with it now, through group policy and MSIs, so it's not a great loss, just would've been nice to have A Better Way.

Cheers!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123