+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, How do you set up your collections? in Technical; Technically there is no Mixed or Native modes anymore - its all to do with HTTP and HTTPS.. What Wally ...

Thank Post
    Technically there is no Mixed or Native modes anymore - its all to do with HTTP and HTTPS..

What Wally Said: Native mode in ConfigMgr 2012

2. Thanks to Gatt from:

sonofsanta (13th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Technically there is no Mixed or Native modes anymore - its all to do with HTTP and HTTPS..

What Wally Said: Native mode in ConfigMgr 2012
    May as well leave all clients using HTTPS then seeing as it's all in place anyway. Although I bet SCCM2012 supports SHA512 as a hashing algorithm, just to rub it in.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,129 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just to give my answer to the original question: I can't really see the point in mimicing AD structure, surely the the beauty of SCCM collections is that you aren't limited to the restrictions of AD OU (with machines being in one group only).
    Here is a stripped down version of my collections:

Entire site
    --Servers
    --Workstations
    ----Desktops
    ------SMART machines
    ------Computer suite
    ------Year 1 machines
    ------Year 2 machines
    ----Laptops
    ------Teacher laptops
    ------SIMS laptops
    ------SMART laptops

An AD discovery is run on a schedule and new machines are added to 'Entire site'. Most groups below are updated on a schedule by running an SQL query and machines are put in the right group based on their name. For example I name machines on the format <site-code>-<machine-type>-<room>(optional)-<ID>, therefore a teacher laptop would be abc-tl-01, this automatically goes into the 'teacher laptop' group, abc-st-suite-01 goes into 'computer suite', abc-sr-sccm (sccm server) goes into 'servers' etc etc.

Therefore when I migrated to Office 2010 I advertised the package at the 'Workstation' level and chose to apply to sub groups.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Just to give my answer to the original question: I can't really see the point in mimicing AD structure, surely the the beauty of SCCM collections is that you aren't limited to the restrictions of AD OU (with machines being in one group only).
    This is why I ask - if there's a more useful way of doing this than by AD. My OUs are organised in a proper tree structure anyway by location->department->room so it's always worked fairly well for targetting software, but SCCM seems a different way of thinking. I'm looking at 2012 this morning anyway so I'll replicate the OUs in collections for targetting IT rooms in a straightforward way (useful when hotswap machines go in and out, as well) but collections for specific packages might be worthwhile as well.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right, 2012 is in, which was actually fairly painless - all the HTTPS stuff worked straight off the bat, possibly as a result of fiddling with 2k7 - and despite the Metro interface and ribbon and everything, it does seem a nicer product; the FEP integration certainly seems nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    In 2012 I link to OUs, nice and simple.
    I am guessing, and I hope incorrectly, that this is a manual process still, and there's no automatic LDAP lookup to generate them?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Right, 2012 is in, which was actually fairly painless - all the HTTPS stuff worked straight off the bat, possibly as a result of fiddling with 2k7 - and despite the Metro interface and ribbon and everything, it does seem a nicer product; the FEP integration certainly seems nicer.

I am guessing, and I hope incorrectly, that this is a manual process still, and there's no automatic LDAP lookup to generate them?
    No but its super simple:

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType, SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier ,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYST EM.Client from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.SystemOUName = "top.level/maincontainer/Computers/Laptops/TeacherLaptops"

I use this to cover all teachers, then specific sub group for departments that require extra software: Art, dt,ict, maths, media. You can then just add "direct rules" for those teachers laptops that aren't in the specificed OU. Software deployed to those groups and away you go.

Software Center is 100% better than the old optional deployments, allows them to install/uninstall software easy and you can provide lots of info on the software. Me likey.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 17th July 2012 at 03:09 PM.

8. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

sonofsanta (17th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No but its super simple:

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType, SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier ,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYST EM.Client from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.SystemOUName = "top.level/maincontainer/Computers/Laptops/TeacherLaptops"

I use this to cover all teachers, then specific sub group for departments that require extra software: Art, dt,ict, maths, media. You can then just add "direct rules" for those teachers laptops that aren't in the specificed OU. Software deployed to those groups and away you go.

Software Center is 100% better than the old optional deployments, allows them to install/uninstall software easy and you can provide lots of info on the software. Me likey.
    And just repeat that for every OU I want replicated to a collection?
    Again, I suspect I know the answer here, but can I create a query based collection and directly exclude some? e.g. collection for the Science OU, but exclude the S9 OU as that's the computer room and would be better off with its own collection. I imagine it doesn't work as the collection is repopulated overnight/on set schedule, but I suppose it doesn't matter if S9 is in multiple collections, either.

And one last question*: the software centre, can that be restricted so that teachers can install software but not kids? Guessing this will tie into User Collections if so.

*for this post

Thank Post
    And just repeat that for every OU I want replicated to a collection?
    Again, I suspect I know the answer here, but can I create a query based collection and directly exclude some? e.g. collection for the Science OU, but exclude the S9 OU as that's the computer room and would be better off with its own collection. I imagine it doesn't work as the collection is repopulated overnight/on set schedule, but I suppose it doesn't matter if S9 is in multiple collections, either.

And one last question*: the software centre, can that be restricted so that teachers can install software but not kids? Guessing this will tie into User Collections if so.

*for this post
    Yeah. IF you want them replicated. Personally I don't replicate AD, I just create deployment groups for what I'm working with. Generally 'all systems of a type' or top level OU, then something specific for room deployment (like all IT classes). You can add multiple queries to a collection and multiple direct rules to a collection.

You can also exclude. I do this for 'all systems inactive' that includes all systems, but excludes 'unknown computers', 'mobile devices' and 'all systems active'.

At the moment Software Center only works for admins/power users or all users. You could direct software to the user rather than the machine but you might get something for the office installed on the curricular desktop. At the moment I use a mix of optional software for teachers laptop groups and mandatory software for curricular machines (doesn't appear in software center).

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 17th July 2012 at 03:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah. IF you want them replicated. Personally I don't replicate AD, I just create deployment groups for what I'm working with. Generally 'all systems of a type' or top level OU, then something specific for room deployment (like all IT classes). You can add multiple queries to a collection and multiple direct rules to a collection.

You can also exclude. I do this for 'all systems inactive' that includes all systems, but excludes 'unknown computers', 'mobile devices' and 'all systems active'.

At the moment Software Center only works for admins/power users or all users. You could direct software to the user rather than the machine but you might get something for the office installed on the curricular desktop. At the moment I use a mix of optional software for teachers laptop groups and mandatory software for curricular machines (doesn't appear in software center).

Hope that helps.
    Reckon I'll replicate to an extent - big classrooms would be handy, and general departmental structure - but not worth going down to the individual classroom level where there's a single teacher PC for registers. I intend to make good use of collections of collections as well, as it'll decouple collections from the geographical nature of our OUs.

Shame on the Software Centre front but I was only thinking about the times our Head of IT asks for software to be put on the tech staff room PCs anyway so I'll not lose too much sleep over it. I shudder to think what would happen if I tried to explain it to most members of staff, after all!

Thanks again, best get on with my collection creation then... time for another cuppa to go with that I reckon.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Another one into the mix... I use AD groups, with Search Collections pointed at them...

13. Thanks to TheScarfedOne from:

sonofsanta (18th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No but its super simple:

FWIW my SCCM complained about syntax in that statement, and as I am feeling lazy I rebuilt it the long (button clicking) way and copied that query code to edit going forward, so I'm using
    Code:
    select *  from  SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.SystemOUName like "TOP.LEVEL/MAIN CONTAINER/COMPUTERS/LOCATIONS/"
    which seems to do the trick and add in devices from sub OUs

(someone at Microsoft seems very angry lately as well, what with the OU query there and Office 2013's SHOUTY CAPS)

Thank Post
    FWIW my SCCM complained about syntax in that statement, and as I am feeling lazy I rebuilt it the long (button clicking) way and copied that query code to edit going forward, so I'm using
    Code:
    select *  from  SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.SystemOUName like "TOP.LEVEL/MAIN CONTAINER/COMPUTERS/LOCATIONS/"
    which seems to do the trick and add in devices from sub OUs

(someone at Microsoft seems very angry lately as well, what with the OU query there and Office 2013's SHOUTY CAPS)
    My query was from SCCM2012, not 2007 if that's any use.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My query was from SCCM2012, not 2007 if that's any use.
    I'm on 2012 now as well, so Lord only knows. At this point in the year I probably just found a way to fail at copy & paste...

Thank Post
    had a thought about deploying software to staff. In 2012 you could set deploy to users, optional install that requires admin approval. Then you staff can install software on curricular PCs if they need to.

Targeting these to normal staff could be messy, depending on your deployments they could install software only intended for their office on a curricular PC. You could for instance provide IT teachers with a custom user login, with all curricular software deployed to this custom user login (still requiring admin approval if you wish).

18. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

sonofsanta (18th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    had a thought about deploying software to staff. In 2012 you could set deploy to users, optional install that requires admin approval. Then you staff can install software on curricular PCs if they need to.

Targeting these to normal staff could be messy, depending on your deployments they could install software only intended for their office on a curricular PC. You could for instance provide IT teachers with a custom user login, with all curricular software deployed to this custom user login (still requiring admin approval if you wish).
    I don't want to get into custom logins and what have you but there are two options that would be worth a bit of effort to get working:
    1) All users can access Software Center, but installing anything prompts for an admin login (to be tapped in by $ITperson)
    2) Domain admins can access Software Center and install stuff for all users
    I suspect the latter is true anyway, but I've only deployed FEP so far which works differently to normal packages in 2012 so not sure. If we could get the former working, though, it would make random software requests much easier to deal with.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast