+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Using Server 2008 WDS to deploy images accross VLANs in Technical; E540621-J8697A.txt Hi all, After the labourios task of getting the Server 2008 WDS working effectively (with the advice from edugeek), ...

Thank Post

Using Server 2008 WDS to deploy images accross VLANs

E540621-J8697A.txt

Hi all,

After the labourios task of getting the Server 2008 WDS working effectively (with the advice from edugeek), I now need to be able to deploy images accross the six VLANs.

We are using a HP E530621 (J8697A) as a core switch ip 10.122.196.1, the WDS is on 10.122.196.59, the DNS (10.122.196.55) and DHCP (10.122.196.43) are all in the same (VLAN)subnet. I have attached the core switch configuration report with all details.

Any advice\instructions are appreciated.

Many Thanks

Rav Singh

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What exactly are your issues? Is PXE booting not working? If not, you need to add the appropriate options to your DHCP server config. Options 66 and 67 need to be set as server options and not scope options so that they will affect every subnet your DHCP server hands out addresses for. Options 66 will be the IP of your WDS server, and option 67 will be the relative path to the boot file. All you probably need to do is move these options from the scope that is working over to server options.

Thank Post
    QUOTE=Duke5A;834706]What exactly are your issues? Is PXE booting not working? If not, you need to add the appropriate options to your DHCP server config. Options 66 and 67 need to be set as server options and not scope options so that they will affect every subnet your DHCP server hands out addresses for. Options 66 will be the IP of your WDS server, and option 67 will be the relative path to the boot file. All you probably need to do is move these options from the scope that is working over to server options.[/QUOTE]

Hi Duke5A,

Many thanks for your reply, I have already configured Option 66 as a server option to point to the WDS server. With regards to Option 67 what boot file (String Value) should it point to?
    I have attached a Word doc with 2x print screens of the Server VLAN and Server Options for more info.

Many Thanks

Rav

DHCP server options PS.docx

Thank Post
    Sorry the issue is I can only image on the same subnet as the server I.E 10.122.196.**, when trying to connect to the WDS server on any other subnet I get the following error
    "PXE-53: No boot filename received, PXE-MOF: Exiting HP PXE ROM."

The only way round it that I can think of is to physically connect the server to the same VLAN subnet that the client machine is on and change the WDS server ip to one in that subnet range.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rav-Singh View Post
    Sorry the issue is I can only image on the same subnet as the server I.E 10.122.196.**, when trying to connect to the WDS server on any other subnet I get the following error
    "PXE-53: No boot filename received, PXE-MOF: Exiting HP PXE ROM."

The only way round it that I can think of is to physically connect the server to the same VLAN subnet that the client machine is on and change the WDS server ip to one in that subnet range.
    The client is complaining that it hasn't been told where to look for the boot file. It gets this information by setting the options correctly in DHCP. All you have to do is copy what is in options 66, and 67 from the working scope, and recreate them them as server options. Scope options only affect the subnet that scope was create for; where server options will affect all scopes the server hands out addresses for.

I've included a PNG of what it basically looks like when viewing the DHCP snap-in. Server options are highlighted and options 66 and 67 need to be defined in this section. Open the scope that has WDS working and get the correct values from there. Don't use mine as my WDS server is extremely customized.

PXEOptions.png

Thank Post
    You may also need to specify the WDS server in your switch config, as an ip helper.

Notice you already have "ip helper-address 10.122.196.43" which I guess is your DHCP server. If your WDS is on a different box you also need to add that as a seperate ip helper address on each of the non-server VLANs. I think!

Thank Post
    My boot file is
    \boot\x86\wdsnbp.com
    I haven't needed to add the WDS server as an IP helper, just my normal DHCP server.
    Last edited by ChrisH; 1st June 2012 at 08:16 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread