+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Imaging Computers With Dell OEM License in Technical; We have some Dell Optiplex 390 computers that all came with Windows 7 Pro x64. I want to make an ...

Thank Post

Imaging Computers With Dell OEM License

We have some Dell Optiplex 390 computers that all came with Windows 7 Pro x64. I want to make an image for them (maybe using FOG).

In the past, I never used sysprep. I never had any issues building the image and NOT joining it to the domain until after the image was deployed. I would rename the workstation, reboot, join domain, reboot and it worked fine.

I've been doing some reading and it seems that Win7 might be even more picky about needing a sysprep. (is that true?)

So, how would I work the licensing for the Windows 7 oem license that came on the machines? Would I just have to enter each computer's product key in after the imaging process if I run sysprep?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I may be wrong, but what you are saying sounds correct. Make your image, sysprep, blitz across, re do license key. Someone feel free to correct me

Thank Post
    I don't know about Fog, I use Symantec ghost. But windows 7, well any windows oem from dell the oem licences activate using the bios they need something called a slic 2.1 and some files which are stored on windows 7 install, don’t worry it is already in the bios. So also long as the sysprep doesn’t mess up the file. It shouldn’t need to be activated or have the key entered back in.

The link below explains a bit more about oem activation

How to Check or Verify PC Motherboard BIOS SLIC Version is SLP OA 2.0 or 2.1 for OEM Activation My Digital Life

also to add I’ve use to sysprep on windows 7, but found it had no gain setting the wall paper can be done by just gpo and not just by syspreping, I do what by the sounds you do no GPOs added to the image, an image name, the rename add to domain and I’ve never had any issues
    Last edited by andy_nic; 26th April 2012 at 07:34 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread