+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Win 7 Preparing Your Desktop in Technical; Some background: I have being building a windows & hardware independant image for a while now which includes every piece ...

Thank Post

Win 7 Preparing Your Desktop

Some background:

I have being building a windows & hardware independant image for a while now which includes every piece of software we own (I know large image size etc but I like it that way). The 4 duifferent types of hardware are all stone based PC's all fairly similar except 1. The new one's which are capable of supporting Win 7 64 bit as well as x86. My image is built using the x86 architecture using fog 0.32 and sysprep.

The issue:

After deploying the image the older stone machines all log on fine and play nice, the new machines however after fog has rename, domain joined and KMS has licensed them all correctly, refuse to log on. The get stuck at the Preparing your Desktop and refuse to get past that even when logging on locally. I do not have a mandatory profile set up and as I said the older x86 bit only machines work fine. All drivers have being injected from what i can tell and I am using drivers I know work from previous sytand alone win 7 machines.

Sorry for the long post and thank you as always.

Craig

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried checking the event log remotely to see if that gives you any clues, also turn on verbose messaged in GPO which may help nail it down further.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

TechieWils (13th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Just having a look at it now, will report back if I find anything. Thank you

Thank Post
    Also, it might be worth checking out what happens if it builds into the same OU as an older computer that builds with no problems, to rule out any GPO stuff from interfering with the process.

6. Thanks to morganw from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    It sounds like you have run Sysprep with the generalize option, but it just sounds like a bad image to me.

If you image one of the older machines, shut it down, install the hard drive in a newer system and then power up. It should go through the Sysprep process as normal. Does this work or is it exactly the same results?

8. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for your replies, here's whats going on.

1. Verbose logging wasnt showing much of anything useful and was still hanging at the preparing your desktop stage.
    2. Couldnt see much in event viewer remotely, there may have being a couple of things but I lost patience with it if im honest.
    3. both the older style machine and newer style were built with the same image in the same ou with th esame GPO's and then with no GPO's present (blocked inheritence) the older machine still works fine but the newer one isnt interested.
    4. Your right the generalize option was run and I'm starting to think the same thing. Imaged an old machine, swapped the drives and it hangs at the same point.

I'm beginning to think my second attempt at a hardware independant image for win 7 has failed due to driver issue, I found a real nice guide that covers everything so am building a new image now to see what happens. If any ones interested here it is Windows 7 Deployment FOG- SAD2 Driver tool > FOG Forums > Open Source Computer Cloning Solution

Also here WINDOWS 7.pdf

Thank you again for you help it is always appreciated.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread