+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Installation Media for non-PXE Workstations in Technical; Hi, We are about to deploy an image to a number of computers in a primary school via MDT 2010. ...

Thank Post

Installation Media for non-PXE Workstations

Hi,

We are about to deploy an image to a number of computers in a primary school via MDT 2010. For a small selection of computers, these boot into WinPE extremely slow and sometimes fail. We have researched many different fixes, such as adjusting the TFTP buffer size, but non have been a success.

To get round the issue, we have created installation media from the MDT server. As our image is quite large in size, we would like to know whether it is possible to run a task sequence and use the OS image stored on the server. We have tried to create an selection profile that includes the task sequence, but not the OS and hoped it would try to connect to the server. Unfortunately, this has failed.

Does any users of MDT know whether we can boot from a CD/DVD into the LiteTouch PE and then run a task sequence that looks at a server for the OS?

Thank Post
    Can you not just copy the contents of the boot image onto your media. I vaguely remember doing something like this before.

Thank Post
    In MDT there is an option which allows you to create an ISO aswell as the WIM. iirc its stored in the same folder as the WIM. afaik that is what you are after.

Thank Post
    you can, i think the link attached might be of use
    How do I move deployment share to a network drive?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can create a WinPE disk with the appropriate drivers and imagex, then map the drive and put your WIM file onto the machine, see this guide on how to do it with windows thin pc, I don't see why it wouldn't work for a full image.

Download: Thin PC Deployment Guide - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    In MDT there is an option which allows you to create an ISO aswell as the WIM. iirc its stored in the same folder as the WIM. afaik that is what you are after.
    That's what I am thinking of you want the contents of the iso. Prepare a USB stick in the normal way and copy the contents over.

Thank Post
    I would want to look into the reason why this isn't working on some of your PCs - are they all of a simlar design? Do you have others of the same design that work fine?

What is the networking like going to them - any breaks in the cables ect?

Just bypassing around an issue might result in you finding other issues later on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    This, we do it on the old cack machines.

As to why it is failing it can be outdated or junk PXE boot rom code which may be fixed by a BIOS update but it can also be because of switches as some of the traffic is very fragile - TFTP - so any slightly dodgey switch can mess the whole thing nicely.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. Today, i have mapped a drive from the LiteTouch command prompt to the server hosting the deployment share. We have then ran the LiteTouch.wsf from the Scripts folder, hoping that the task sequences could be seen, but they were blank.

The WIM for the OS image is just too large to copy to a DVD and i dont want to purchase USB pens etc just to build these machines. Im also reluctant to change the customsettings deployroot as for the rest of the machines, this is correct and working. I just want to run a task sequence that looks for the WIM of a network share??

Thank Post
    We have used the WinPE approach before but this can be a pain in the arse with going through the welcome screen and then joining domain etc.

Thank Post
    cluberti.com » MDT 2010 and deployment from a USB key

We have MDT on a usb disk and have no problems. Used the guide above.

Thank Post
    You don't need the OS WIM but the smaller PE one. Everything you need is in the Boot folder of your deployment share. If you want to use a DVD then just burn LiteTouch_x86.iso (or whatever you called yours) to a CD/DVD and boot from it. It'll pull down the full image, rules and the task sequence from the server. The required files are not very large and will fit on a CD, never mind a DVD. My PE image has a few drivers in and is 178MB.

Also I know you don't want to buy USB sticks but any old ones you've got knocking about of, say, 256MB can be used instead of DVD. Again just copy the contents of the iso to the USB then boot from it.

BTW, I'm writing this with three old HP Compaq 6720s sitting on my desk installing images after booting from USB sticks. These old beasts also suffer from unreliable PXE booting.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread