+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Driver program's at startup. in Technical; On the whole I've got MDT and WDS working together fine, I'm sure it could be better but so far ...

Thank Post

Driver program's at startup.

On the whole I've got MDT and WDS working together fine, I'm sure it could be better but so far it works to get win7 and my apps out there.

My problem is that when the drivers are installed I get a number of program's added to HMLM\software\microsoft\windows\run. These are the intel graphics driver application (igfxtray.exe etc) when windows runs during the process these run, windows brings up a security warning asking if I'm sure I want to run these applications and the waits. The deployment only resumes after I unticked "do not prompt me for this file again" and press run. The deployment then resumes.

Any suggestions on the best way to stop this? When I imported the drivers I just looked at the folders containing the drivers in but it seems to have brought the program's as well. I don't want them as it gives kids the opportunity to "humorously" invert the display.

Thank Post
    May or may not apply in any given case, but check your drivers for NTFS alternate data streams and if they exist try removing them prior to importing. Sysinternals have a util that can seek and destroy those streams, called uhh.. streams.

GPP can be used to kill autoruns i.e. you can add entries to remove what you like from the registry Run keys, including the Intel hotkey stuff. Warning: Once upon a time some sound driver didn't play nicely unless it's autorun had run.

Thank Post
    If you remove the drivers, mark them as safe by pressing the unblock, then re-import - this should fix it.
    It is the issue listed above, you just have to be careful importing files that you've acquired from the internet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    May or may not apply in any given case, but check your drivers for NTFS alternate data streams and if they exist try removing them prior to importing. Sysinternals have a util that can seek and destroy those streams, called uhh.. streams.

GPP can be used to kill autoruns i.e. you can add entries to remove what you like from the registry Run keys, including the Intel hotkey stuff. Warning: Once upon a time some sound driver didn't play nicely unless it's autorun had run.
    I'll give the gpp stuff a go and see how I get on when I'm back in the office tomorrow.

Thank Post
    So @PiqueABoo 's suggestion works fine sometimes.... If the machine joins the domain as part of the initial build then it picks up the group policy fine. If it fails to join the domain it continues into windows and I'm left with the same security isses.

It doens't seem happy if I have too many machines running at once. So any further suggestons or way to make the domain join more reliable?

Thank Post
    add an application thats basicaly regedit /s file that removes offending reg keys

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can comment out the line in the driver INF that places they registry keys in start up. I do this with drivers I import into WDS to keep the crap out of the systray. Here is a snippet of an Intel graphics INF detailing the section.

Code:
    ; igfxtray.exe execution on startup
    ;
    HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run,IgfxTray,,%11%"\igfxtray.exe"
    HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run,HotKeysCmds,,%11%"\hkcmd.exe"
    HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run,Persistence,,%11%"\igfxpers.exe"
    Comment these out in the INF, re-import into WDS, and you should be all set.

Thank Post
    Oooo... I like that. I'll have a look on Monday, cheers.

Thank Post
    It's not as easy as it looks. By editing *.inf file you are making drivers unsigned and WDS won't deploy them. I was full of hope myself when I saw this post although spent half a day afterwards trying to work out why drivers are not installing when OS deployed I know now....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread