+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, OEM based image creation in Technical; I have a batch of new windows 7 laptops which need settings up, all come from Toshiba with windows 7 ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

OEM based image creation

I have a batch of new windows 7 laptops which need settings up, all come from Toshiba with windows 7 pro however I want to image out the same software and setup to all machines, would I be covered to setup 1 machine as required then create a ghost image and deploy to the other laptops? Or is licensing not this simple? It may be i'm going the wrong way about this even and should be using something other than ghost, any advice would be great.

Thanks
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 19th March 2012 at 12:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Excerpt from http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...6nTiwVzXjK5xlg

Re-imaging rights are a benefit granted to Microsoft Volume Licensing customers.
    Microsoft Volume Licensing customers may use Volume Licensing media to re-image software (including OEM Software licenses) under the following conditions:

The copies re-imaged from the Volume Licensing media are identical to the originally licensed product (the same product and version,
    contain the same components, and are in the same language).

The customer must purchase at least one unit of the product required to be re-imaged through their Volume Licensing agreement in
    order to obtain access to the product media and receive a key.

Volume Licensing media must be used for re-imaging (OEM media may not be used).
    So yes, as long as you use your own Volume Licence key and media, you are covered by the OEM licence for each machine.

Edit: If you were going to set up one of the OEM machines and then distribute that to the other machines, you still can, but you will need to activate each copy of Windows using the product key that is supplied on the sticker on the base of each laptop, you can't use just 1 OEM product key for every laptop in the set.
    Last edited by Pete10141748; 19th March 2012 at 12:42 PM.

3. Thanks to Pete10141748 from:

bondbill2k2 (19th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    Edit: If you were going to set up one of the OEM machines and then distribute that to the other machines, you still can, but you will need to activate each copy of Windows using the product key that is supplied on the sticker on the base of each laptop, you can't use just 1 OEM product key for every laptop in the set.
    That was the plan, can I change the activated OEM key on a laptop after it has been imaged? I'm not sure how i'd do this as i've only ever previously used images on XP and our volume license

Thank Post
    Yes you can, in Windows 7 open the "Run" command and type in "SLUI 3" - this will open the window to let you enter a new product key.

6. Thanks to Pete10141748 from:

bondbill2k2 (19th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes you can, in Windows 7 open the "Run" command and type in "SLUI 3" - this will open the window to let you enter a new product key.
    Thanks alot works perfect This will do for now, I'll create the image using a volume license once we have one for 7, we have plenty of 7 OEM licensed computers but most are using an XP vol license at the moment

Thank Post
    JDI

Si

Thank Post
    I think the licensing language is meant to convey that you can't buy one machine with an OEM copy of Windows and then copy that to machines without WIndows OS to prevent wholescale loss of licensing revenue rather than restricting you from just cloning a batch of already licensced computers for a suite

SI

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    I think the licensing language is meant to convey that you can't buy one machine with an OEM copy of Windows and then copy that to machines without WIndows OS to prevent wholescale loss of licensing revenue rather than restricting you from just cloning a batch of already licensced computers for a suite

SI
    Yep I was aware that this would be a big nono just wanted to check I was covered if I used the OEM license on other of that OEM workstation without changing the license, as its only a small batch I dont mind manually changing it.
    We don't currently have a full volume license for windows 7 and as this case was only a few laptops which will be used by staff off the network I'm using them as a 'breaking in' to 7 experience for staff before a large roll-out, they really don't like change! Previous pre-installed OEM 7 machines I have just used a volume license XP image to downgrade, server 2008R2 in the summer due so we shall be pushing to 7 more then, Im using the only win7 curric computer here at the moment with my tech account working fine but I had problems with student logon creation and ended up leaving them with their XP

Thank Post
    You can use magicJellyBean to recover the licence key on a working PC (MS might not like this), it appears that the OEM licence keys on the case stickers are disabled and you can only use them via phone activation, there is also a special OEM key you can use for XP.

Preserving OEM Pre-Activation when Re-installing Windows XP

I found all this out when reinstalling XP-Pro on a NEC PC with the restore disk it was shipped with (the COA was for Vista so I couldnt use the key on that). Because the time it took to update the drivers, install SP3 etc I wanted to create an image in case I needed to reinstall again at some point.

If I had known there was no bundled dvd software on the restore cd and that it needed SP3 installing then I would have just used the schools volume licence media and key and not had any of the hassle!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    That was the plan, can I change the activated OEM key on a laptop after it has been imaged? I'm not sure how i'd do this as i've only ever previously used images on XP and our volume license
    I'm about to setup 16 Laptops in the same manner. Did you have to change the key after Ghosting?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread