+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, MDT/WDS - Windows 7 Deployment - Default Profile/Start Menu in Technical; Hi, Finally in a position (from many months ago) to continue testing Windows 7 deployment via MDT2010 & WDS . ...

Thank Post

MDT/WDS - Windows 7 Deployment - Default Profile/Start Menu

Hi,

Finally in a position (from many months ago) to continue testing Windows 7 deployment via MDT2010 & WDS.

Background/Setup
    MDT2010 (with BuildLab & Production deployment shares) and WDS - All configured and working correctly.
    All drivers (x86 and x64), and applications have been configured and automated using a database of computers/locations/roles to determine which configuration/software to install.

So far, it is working great. I've created 2 base reference images (x86 & x64, created within Hyper-V) consisting of Windows 7 Enterprise and Office 2010 Professional Plus, and then the additional required software/drivers are installed during production deployment (flash, java, other application etc.).

I will be (re)creating Windows 7 specific GPPs (although our existing Windows XP GPP work quite well).

Issue
    The area I would appreciate some assistance on is the process of creating the default profile/start menu.

We don't use roaming profiles; all I need is for staff/pupils to be presented with a standard(cutomised) Start Menu to access the installed applications.

I assume this could be achived with a mandatory profile (?) and/or with redirect Start Menu (?)

- With redirected Start Menus, is the norm to have its path on a shared location on network?
    - Do you have different Start Menu (locations) for different models/classrooms (as the installed software may vary?)
    - Or can you even create the redirected Start Menu location on the physical Hard Drive of each computer?

I've read the guides about entering Audit Mode when you install Windows 7, but this seems to relate to manual installation (not semi-automated using LiteTouch etc.)

I would appreciate any feedback/assistance and apologise in advance as this has probably been asked many times beforehand (I have read through the fantastic MDT Sticky, but as mentioned I just need a bit of guidance on creating default/mandatory (?)/redirected Start Menus.

For info we are currently Windows 2003 but are using GPP (with XP) and upgrading to Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V virtualisation setup within the next month.

Many Thanks

Thank Post
    I've previously used Group Policy Preferences to customise the default start menu on each workstation, and more recently redirected the start menu to a folder on each workstation's system disk (shortcuts would get copied into the folder as part of application deployment and you can restrict access with Access Based Enumeration on the share). The first way adds to Group Policy processing time but is more flexible, the second way was a lot faster but may restrict how you can deploy applications.

3. Thanks to morganw from:

MYK-IT (16th March 2012)

Thank Post
    As far as MDT/WDS goes I am just this week setting it up here. Bit of a steep learning curve but I have 300 stations to image in easter hols so want a solid reliable method. So far MDT looks great.

As far as the start menu goes - I use a mandatory start menu through Group Policy Preferences. Everyone has the same start menu. There are probably better ways of doing it but for now it works and is very reliable. One thing I don't like using this mandatory method, coming fom an RM network which automatically hides the shortcuts if the software is not installed, is that I get dead shortcuts. Not sure of a way round that to be honest.
    Last edited by AButters; 15th March 2012 at 08:40 AM.

5. Thanks to AButters from:

MYK-IT (16th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    I've previously used Group Policy Preferences to customise the default start menu on each workstation, and more recently redirected the start menu to a folder on each workstation's system disk (shortcuts would get copied into the folder as part of application deployment and you can restrict access with Access Based Enumeration on the share). The first way adds to Group Policy processing time but is more flexible, the second way was a lot faster but may restrict how you can deploy applications.
    Prety much what I do.

7. Thanks to Stuart_C from:

MYK-IT (16th March 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread