+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Was working, now getting PXE-E55 ProxyDHCP service did not reply in Technical; Hi, Sorry if this is long, but I'm trying to give as much information as possible. I set up WDS ...

Thank Post

Question Was working, now getting PXE-E55 ProxyDHCP service did not reply

Hi,

Sorry if this is long, but I'm trying to give as much information as possible.

I set up WDS and MDT using LiteTouch following the instructions here: MDT 2010 Setup Step by Step Part 1 - SharePointEduTechSharePointEduTech

My setup is: server1(DC, DNS, DHCP), server2(DC, DNS, DHCP), server3(DC, WDS, MDT, WAIK + SP1 Supplement)

I then imported a WinXP SP3 CD and configured a basic task sequence (No drivers, no applications, just XP). I then run a test using a Dell Optiplex 780 (not using any boot media, just telling the PC to boot from NIC) and everything worked fine until it got to the Windows desktop and failed because there was no NIC driver installed So I then imported a NIC driver and run the test again. This time it worked perfectly. Next I started to change the customsettings.ini and boostrap.ini to reduce the amount screens in the wizard. I restarted the PC several times (I had to stop the multicast transmission in WDS each time or it would continue with the last session) and repeatedly booted the LiteTouch interface to test my changes and at first my changes weren't working. The main thing I wanted to remove was the prompt for deployment share credentials. After some searching I found out that I had to replace the boot image in WDS with the updated file. After doing that all my changes worked.

Now that I was happy with the wizard etc, I decided to import the rest of the drivers for the Optiplex 780, change the customsettings.ini to show the applications screen in the wizard and to use our WSUS server for Windows Updates. I also added a task sequence variable to only install drivers from a specific folder "Windows XP\%model%". This is everything I remember doing. I then updated the deployment share (completely regenerated boot files) but forgot to replace the boot file in WDS. This time when I went to boot from NIC I got the following message:

CLIENT MAC ADDR: <MAC Address> GUID: <GUID>
    CLIENT IP: <IP Address from scope of server 2> MASK: <Correct Mask> DHCP IP: <server2's IP>
    PXE-E55: ProxyDHCP service did not reply to request on port 4011.

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
    I then replaced the boot file in WDS and tried again, but I still get the same error.

I've searched for this message and see lots of people talking about DHCP options 60, 66 and 67 causing the problem but I don't have any of these set. The fact that it worked originally makes me think I don't need them set? At the moment my scope options are 3,6,15,252 and my server options are 6,15.

Thanks in Advance,

Dan

Thank Post
    I found giving the WDS service a restart after replacing the boot image and before restarting the computer always helped and now have a script on the desktop at hand to do this each time. I also found when testing that (depending on how far through the deployment you get) deleting the "C:\MININT" & "C:\_SMSTaskSequence" folders was essential otherwise the deployment would simply carry on from where it was stopped but this was usually further in.

Thank Post
    Thank you for your reply. I tried your suggestion but I still got the same error. I have just found the solution however, so for anyone else having the same problem here was the solution that worked for me:

PXE-E55: ProxyDHCP: No reply to request on port 4011

Just in case it is ever removed from technet:
    The problem isn't that these systems stay in active directory, its that the record of their approval stays in WDS. My guess is that when WDS fails to find the computer in AD it fails.

The solution was to remove the approvals from WDS using wdsutil.
    WDSUTIL /Delete-AutoAddDevices /DeviceType:ApprovedDevices

I ran the above command and the PXE process worked.
    Hope this helps somebody else.

Dan

4. 3 Thanks to stanwell:

CHR1S (20th September 2012), IggyTheSmidge (13th March 2013), TechMonkey (17th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks @stanwell saved my backside

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread