+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Image Netbook without doing it over network? in Technical; Is there a way of doing this? Never had to think about it before. Through an external HDD or something? ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Image Netbook without doing it over network?

Is there a way of doing this? Never had to think about it before. Through an external HDD or something?

I have 20 Netbooks at Hogwarts but i cant Ghost them over our VLAN as Link2ICT have got Spanning Trees disabled on our switches. I can get it temporarily sorted but it means getting forms signed from our head and the head of the neighbouring school who's switch we are attached too. Basically a load of faffing.

I was going to attempt to image them with an image ive already got for a slightly older model and sort the drivers out or i can create one from scratch, but basically i need a way of putting that image on the other 19 without having to cart them to our school site, image them and take them back again.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Are these Win7? Take a look at using ImageX and pull the image of a net share. That way only the machines pulling the image down will use bandwidth rather that the Ghostcast server pumping it out to everyone. Managed to image 60 netbooks this way last week in batches of 10.

3. 2 Thanks to SYSMAN_MK:

Little-Miss (5th December 2011), SimpleSi (6th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Yes you can and typically it's how I image (a lot of the time) as USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 file transfer speeds from an external hard drive will always be quicker than doing it through a network.

The images I create are typically anywhere between 15GB to 25GB. This can take a long time over a network, especially when you try imaging multiple machines.

Personally I don't use Ghost, but I suspect there probably is an option to Ghost from an external hard drive (I would of thought).

Also, on a separate note, if you're imaging XP this doesn't always work imaging over different types of hardware. If you're imaging Windows 7, the 'generalize' option allows you to image on completely different hardware out the box. Windows 7 does an excellent job installing most if not all hardware devices. This is where XP shows its age, as you end up spending more time finding and installing drivers it doesn't have.

5. Thanks to Michael from:

Little-Miss (5th December 2011)

Thank Post
    I've used Clonezilla on a USB stick, booted from it and used an External HDD (local dev, created a folder called images). That's just one at a time though. not sure how else you could do it any faster without a network of sorts. How long have you got? Depends how fast your ex HDD is and how big the image is. Usually takes about mins per image.

7. Thanks to Singist from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Can you not acquire a switch and setup you own local network just to do this?

Ben

Thank Post
    As mentioned you could create an image on 1 laptop and ghost to an external UDB HDD (or even multiple DVDs)

Then you could either:

1) connect external USB HDD to each and every laptop and Ghost accordingly, or
    2) with a pc/laptop with Ghost Server installed, connected to the same local switch/lan as the other 18 laptops use Ghost Boot wizard (to create a bootable Ghost USB Pen Drive) to boot up each and every other laptop onto the network, then initiate a ghost multicast session accordingly.
    Last edited by MYK-IT; 5th December 2011 at 10:37 AM.

10. Thanks to MYK-IT from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I havent bitten the windows 7 bullet yet! Too many other things to worry about at the moment!

They're gonna have XP on them (which will probably cause more issues i know).

Right, this is going to be interesting...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ooooh! I never thought of that....will have a dig around in my cupboards!!!

Thank Post
    get PING (Partition isnt Ghost) takes me 5 mins to image locally via USB HDD with that

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use a lot of netbooks in our district, and many are in carts of 30. Every year we image them with a fresh load. The process goes like this:

1. Pull out netbooks and hook up all thirty to a switch
    2. hook up the switch with a single uplink to the building LAN
    3. PXE boot netbooks with WinPE from WDS
    4. setup up another laptop or desktop on the switch that has a local copy of the image and start a ghost cast server
    5. Run Ghost32 on the netbooks and join the session
    6. unplug the uplink to the building LAN so we don't flood the network with broadcast traffic
    7. start the image process
    8. once the image process finishes the uplink to the LAN is plugged back in so the machines will join the domain
    9. install software using scripts
    10. Rinse, lather, repeat for other carts

You can even modify WinPE to auto start Ghost to join the session once it comes up if you want.

Our XP base image is only 5GB with Office installed so the entire process only takes 40 minutes with a gig switch. As a bonus, this can all be done off of battery power, so no need to break the cart down.

15. Thanks to Duke5A from:

Little-Miss (6th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Another thought, if PXE booting across VLANs is an issue too, you can this...

I've had to image machines that were offsite before, so I would export my WinPE wim image off of our WDS server and use these instructions to dump it to a USB drive. Create bootable Windows PE 3.0 USB drive - 4sysops If you've got a big enough stick, you can copy the entire image onto it too and use Ghost32. Makes for a nice compact on-the-go solution. 32GB sticks are coming down in price now too (or however big you need).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok, im being a retard...i'll happily admit that. I dont seem to be able to focus on anything...

Got a desktop switch cus i cant find anything else. Ghost is installed on my machine and plugged into the switch. If i boot from LAN its obviously trying to connect to DHCP which obviously isnt going to respond as my XP Machine obviously isnt a DHCP server.

This is when i need the USB stick isnt it? So this is where i use the Ghost Boot Wizard and this is where i get stuck! lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    lol ok, booted ghost32 from usb...doesnt see ghost session though.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can do it from local USB drive but dont really wanna do 20 like that....

EDIT: Didnt work!
    Last edited by Little-Miss; 6th December 2011 at 12:14 PM.

Thank Post
    You could always try using this on you xp client?

Dual DHCP DNS Server | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net

Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Got a desktop switch cus i cant find anything else. Ghost is installed on my machine and plugged into the switch. If i boot from LAN its obviously trying to connect to DHCP which obviously isnt going to respond as my XP Machine obviously isnt a DHCP server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast