+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, MDT Confusing me in Technical; I'm trying to understand MDT however Iím getting really confused. I want to use MDT so I can have one ...

Thank Post

MDT Confusing me

I'm trying to understand MDT however Iím getting really confused.
    I want to use MDT so I can have one image for all computers. The task sequence part is really confusing me. I'm reading the guides posted in the sticky but I just canít seem to get my head around it. I think I understand it all... apart from this task sequence part.
    I simple want my deploy image to

Deploy the image + look for drivers in driver store + encrypt hard drive with bitlocker ( Read it can do this ) + join domain

The tasks sequence how so many options and Iím so confused as to what options I need and donít. Can anyone kindly share a screenshot of their task sequence and explain to me what it does so maybe I can understand.

Thanks

Thank Post
    If you just do a standard task sequence and just fill in the stuff in the wizard it will pretty much do what you are asking. This is assuming you have added drivers to the workbench.

Thank Post
    nope still cant get my head around this task sequence
    By default it has a lot of options added and most of them I don't have a clue what they do. Do I need to keep these?

Thank Post
    the default options usually just leave em alone tbh

Thank Post
    Hmm okay. I guess the easiest way to get my head around this is to just set one up and try to deploy and image. If it works...great. If doesnt work... I can look at making changes.
    There is lots of options like 'capture image' by default that you can see on this screenshot

mdt.PNG

I only want to deploy an image, so why do I need these?

Thank Post
    Do not worry about all those options for now. The defaults that are selected will do what you want.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I really advise getting on of the books listed in the sticky.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveaproblem View Post
    I only want to deploy an image
    The following guide may be helpful? Since you have already installed MDT, start at part 3.

MDT for the small(er) guys Ė Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

Thank Post
    did you manage to get mdt sorted? if you get stuck give us a nod and ill talk you through it

Thank Post
    Thanks Arthur. That guide is being helpful.
    mrunt, I'm getting there slowly... but still struggling to understand some bits.

Let me say where I'm at.
    WDS = Tick, Known how to use and add boot images etc
    MDT Install = Tick, Is easy enough
    Deployment Share = Tick
    Adding OS = Tick
    Adding Drivers = Tick ( Altered the structure to follow the advice given on the guide Arthur posted)
    Adding Applications = Not really sure I need this. All my programs will be on the image i've captured so wont need to add more. Might be usefull if I can install sims and other staff specific software using this ?

Task sequence i've followed the advice given in the guide and starting to understand that.
    At the moment i'm trying to get my head around the customsettings .ini file and what I need to edit from his example...

Thank Post
    By the sounds of it your pretty much sorted, I dont use applications either to be honest, all I've done is in the task sequence call a batch file that runs at the end of the deployment, this installs sophos and does a few other things, and then deletes itself.

The customsettings.ini and bootstrap.ini, you CAN leave these alone, it depends what you want to achieve? have a look at MS Deployment Notes: My CustomSettings.ini and Bootstrap.ini innards

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrunt View Post
    By the sounds of it your pretty much sorted, I dont use applications either to be honest, all I've done is in the task sequence call a batch file that runs at the end of the deployment, this installs sophos and does a few other things, and then deletes itself.

The customsettings.ini and bootstrap.ini, you CAN leave these alone, it depends what you want to achieve? have a look at MS Deployment Notes: My CustomSettings.ini and Bootstrap.ini innards
    I will try to change these back. I've edited them already and now need to remember what I changed.
    All I want is

Option to Enable Bit Locker
    Option to set computer name
    Option to join Domain

Alot of the other options I see in these guides cant I just do in the unattended file for the image? Like set admin password, time zone, keyboard settings etc.
    Or does MDT ignore the unattended file?

Thank Post
    yea, mine is a mix of the unattend file, and the task sequence...keep in mind that whatever you do in bootstrap and customsettings will apply to all of your images. For example I have it so that when you boot into MDT a login box does NOT appear, technicians also dont get an option of the type of deployment they want to do, and they dont get to pick a language etc. All this stuff just makes imaging a bit easier.

Then in my unattend I have system locales, admin passwords, languages etc set.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrunt View Post
    yea, mine is a mix of the unattend file, and the task sequence...keep in mind that whatever you do in bootstrap and customsettings will apply to all of your images. For example I have it so that when you boot into MDT a login box does NOT appear, technicians also dont get an option of the type of deployment they want to do, and they dont get to pick a language etc. All this stuff just makes imaging a bit easier.

Then in my unattend I have system locales, admin passwords, languages etc set.
    We considered doing this but thought that maybe the pupils would press F12 when logging on and mess about.

I'm sure there is a way to password the F12 but does anyone know?

Gareth

Thank Post
    If you want to password protect your F12 option you will need to see if your bios supports this, most dell bios do.....

otherwise, just force wds to ask you for a password, that way if someone does f12 then your protected...........

or disable f12 altogether and make your technicians go into the bios and change boot order when they wanna image

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast