+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Fog Hostname Changer in Technical; Running Fog .29 on Ubuntu 10.3 Client machines are XP Pro SP3 When we did the full host registration process ...

Thank Post

Fog Hostname Changer

Running Fog .29 on Ubuntu 10.3
    Client machines are XP Pro SP3

When we did the full host registration process with our client machines, we thought it would be a good time to change our ancient naming convention that was antiquated and irrelevant to something that made more since and was simpler. Thought it was a good idea but now we are struggling with the hostname changer process.

Our client machines are already joined to the domain under "pc-oldname" and if we turn on the hostname changer to a group of them, the fog rename wizard does it's thing and renames them but it then breaks its domain membership. I do a search in AD for the "pc-newname" and its not there but the old object name is still there. On the client machine, it shows it with the "pc-newname" and still has our domain as an option to log into, but when attempted, it fails.

The hostname changer works great when it runs after a reimage, but we have not imaged 100's of the pc's this fall yet and would like FOG to rename them.

Any ideas on what we might do to fix this? Thanks.

Thank Post
    I think you will have to leave the domain first, then after the FOG service changes the hostname it should re-join AD on the next reboot. I think the old computer object will be left in AD so you will have to delete that, the new name should appear wherever you FOG settings specify it should (or if you haven't specified a place it should be in the computers container). If these are wired clients then I would just trigger the rebuilds remotely in groups over a weekend to avoid the need to leave the domain, or you can set staggered scheduled tasks based on FOG computer groups to do this for you.

Thank Post
    Thanks morganw. I was afraid of that... Just have to wonder if there is some script magic that could help in this situation. Thanks again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Ours if the machines are setup and already on the domain it removes them. Restart, change name, restart join domain/reatart free 2 use all done automatically

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread