+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Best deployment software in Technical; We also use fog. We have devised a script to finish the install for us and shutdown the machines after ...

Thank Post
    We also use fog.

We have devised a script to finish the install for us and shutdown the machines after a sysprep. how are others doing this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchers View Post
    We also use fog.

We have devised a script to finish the install for us and shutdown the machines after a sysprep. how are others doing this?
    What do you mean? FOG does it all for you. ie. you build your image, install the fog client, sysprep it, sysprep auto-shuts down, you image into FOG, set the host(s') details up (ie. computer name, active directory information etc...) on the fog site and then deploy the image to the machine(s).

It will then finish the Windows unattended setup, rename it, join it to the domain and you're done.

What is your script doing?

Thank Post
    Fog here too, also churchers could I take a look at that script as I find the fog client a little flaky at times.

Thank you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wils86 View Post
    Fog here too, also churchers could I take a look at that script as I find the fog client a little flaky at times.

Thank you.
    Flaky how? I'm currently planning to rewrite parts of it and see if they want to use my changes, so if others are having issues too, it'd be good to know so I can work changes in.

Thank Post
    Yeh, I agree up to that point.

Our image then continues on and runs a script to add software that needs to be installed after sysprep, (example: AV agent). It also reboots twice making sure that all GPO software has been downloaded and installed.
    We also set screen settings, more than fog can provide. and anything else. then shuts down on completion of tasks.

Thank Post
    I will upload/make a public version available tomorrow.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I find FOG fantastic, it sets screen resolution also via the client? I never worry about things like that, FOG takes care of everything like that for me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I'm currently planning to rewrite parts of it and see if they want to use my changes, so if others are having issues too, it'd be good to know so I can work changes in.
    What features do you want to include?
    Where did you get the exe source? ...website?, I'll take a look.

If you are adding features you should ask on the fog forum, others might have good idea's. (or feature request section.)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoseley View Post
    it sets screen resolution also via the client? I never worry about things like that, FOG takes care of everything like that for me.
    Yeh but we can do more like what screen and make primary etc.., just some little features we needed

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Flaky how? I'm currently planning to rewrite parts of it and see if they want to use my changes, so if others are having issues too, it'd be good to know so I can work changes in.
    Flaky as in sometimes it won't add to domain giving me a silly error (net path 53 ) I think. Then sometimes a few drivers need clicking yes on the install section. That's just a little niggle of mine. Apart from that it does everything I need.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Flaky as in sometimes it won't add to domain giving me a silly error (net path 53 ) I think. Then sometimes a few drivers need clicking yes on the install section. That's just a little niggle of mine. Apart from that it does everything I need.
    Not had issues with either of those. Are you installing drivers as snapins with silent installs? Or are you including them in the base image?

Thank Post
    drivers are on the base image.

what do you do if you have something that needs to be install after deploy (an exe) but needs dos commands parameters to install?

Thank Post
    Drivers and all software are all in the base image but its a hardware agnostic image that can go on a number of machines using sysprep and a few other tools. I just never set it to silent install all the drivers my bad I just haven't had chance to fix it. My main problem is it doesn't always join the domain.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchers View Post
    drivers are on the base image.

what do you do if you have something that needs to be install after deploy (an exe) but needs dos commands parameters to install?
    You create a snapin. You can run batch scripts from there, or you can use installrite to make a simple installer, or you can use SFXMaker to make an installer containing a folder which runs, or rustle up an MSI.

Lots of options really!

Drivers and all software are all in the base image but its a hardware agnostic image that can go on a number of machines using sysprep and a few other tools. I just never set it to silent install all the drivers my bad I just haven't had chance to fix it. My main problem is it doesn't always join the domain.
    Ah, yeah, I've been spending a few weeks building our new image and snapins of all our software to install silently, but I totally appreciate that most people don't have that time to spare.

Really not sure why your machines wouldn't always be joining the domain though!

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    2 weeks to test (if possible), 100 (different hardware?) workstations + server/network upgrades/reconfigure. And they gave 3 weeks to complete (1 if not allowed downtime on any machines)!!!.
    PXE boot can be interesting to start - Check over the next few weeks/days to see if machines will actually boot off network, this can seriously affect deployment time.
    Building Images from scratch - sure all/different drivers will be needed to be sourced wether ghost or whatever deployment used.

Good luck

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast