+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, FOG AD intergration tried everything I could find Honest in Technical; Right then first off cheers for reading this and thanks for any help, as the title says I've tried everything ...

Thank Post

FOG AD intergration tried everything I could find Honest

Right then first off cheers for reading this and thanks for any help, as the title says I've tried everything I can think of and find. I'm trying to get FOG to automatically rename and add a machine to the domain. At the moment I have got it renaming the machine but not joining the domian. The line in the FOG file says 'hostname changer netdom output: the network path was not found'.

Some info:
    Fog version 0.27 but i ran the update script and updated the schema etc to 0.32 (I get the shiny new webUI)
    Host machine does rename but not add to AD
    I have recompiled the hostname.dll and moved it to the correct area prior to taking the image.
    I have selected add to domain after imaging.
    Disable/enabled (cant remember which way round) magic quotes to ensure the back slash is inserted correctly in to management UI for AD details
    AD details put in correctly : domain = netbios domain name
    default ou = blank
    default user = domain\administrator
    password = fogcrypted with passkey from hostname.dll
    as stated log file says = hostname changer netdom output: the network path was not found
    just incase support tools with netdom installed in default location
    Its an xp sp3 machine fully updated with .net4 (read That may affect it)

I've probably done more as I've being working on it a while to create a VLK hardware independant image (which does deploy go me ) this last bit would be the icing on the cake so if anyone has any ideas I'll be greatful. If anyone see's something they need help doing let me know I'll gladly help you out.

Cheers

Thank Post
    FOG doesn't use netdom anymore, I don't think it has needed this for the last three or four releases. Also the newest version of FOG will attempt to change your sysprep.inf file to insert the hostname and domain joining options directly into the file, you can revert to the old behaviour by adjusting the settings in the UI. I've also had problems with .NET framework 4, in particular it would sometimes stop snap-ins from installing and hang before joining the domain. I've you got the time I would reinstall 0.32 from scratch in a test VM or similar just to see if you get the same errors, it sounds like something isn't right with the service. Are you sure you are using the latest version, you should download the latest through the web interface once you've run a server upgrade. Check what you are using against http://[serverip]/fog/client/

Thank Post
    I knew I read that netdom was now redundant and thats what threw me, I installed an old version of fog client off a memory stick instead of off /fog/client so my bad. I';ve installed the latest version and did all the above. I also read some where that disabling most of the options except for hostname changer when installing the client might help. After doing that I now get this in the log file:

Code:
    01/09/2011 08:26 FOG::HostnameChanger Starting hostname change process...
     01/09/2011 08:26 FOG::HostnameChanger Yielding to other subservices for 4 seconds.
     01/09/2011 08:26 FOG::HostnameChanger Attempting to connect to fog server...
     01/09/2011 08:26 FOG::HostnameChanger Module is active...
     01/09/2011 08:26 FOG::HostnameChanger AD mode requested, confirming settings.
     01/09/2011 08:26 FOG::HostnameChanger Padding is invalid and cannot be removed.
     01/09/2011 08:26 FOG::HostnameChanger    at System.Security.Cryptography.RijndaelManagedTransform.DecryptData(Byte[] inputBuffer, Int32 inputOffset, Int32 inputCount, Byte[]& outputBuffer, Int32 outputOffset, PaddingMode paddingMode, Boolean fLast)
       at System.Security.Cryptography.RijndaelManagedTransform.TransformFinalBlock(Byte[] inputBuffer, Int32 inputOffset, Int32 inputCount)
       at System.Security.Cryptography.CryptoStream.FlushFinalBlock()
       at System.Security.Cryptography.CryptoStream.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
       at System.IO.Stream.Close()
       at FOG.FOGCrypt.decrypt(Byte[] cipherData, Byte[] Key, Byte[] IV)
       at FOG.FOGCrypt.decrypt(Byte[] cipherData, String Password)
       at FOG.FOGCrypt.decryptHex(String hex)
       at FOG.HostNameChanger.changeHostName()

I've read about this issue before and I think the answer to it was to recompile the hostnamechanger.dll. Gonna do some reading but hopefully this sorts it. Thanks Morganw

Thank Post
    I've never seen anything like that in the log file before, I think you are right about the hostnamechange.dll. Just to for testing you could revert to the one that ships as standard and encrypt using the standard key. To be honest when I was running this I just created a new service account and delegated permissions to over computer objects in certain OUs, so if someone did decrypt the password they wouldn't have control of a domain admin account.

5. Thanks to morganw from:

Wils86 (1st September 2011)

Thank Post
    Fair point I might just try that.

In the meantime I have recompiled the hostnamechanger.dll from the new fog client and did the usuals etc. Reimaged a machine with the new dll and the new error in the log file is:

01/09/2011 13:11 FOG::HostnameChanger Hostname is up to date
    01/09/2011 13:11 FOG::HostnameChanger Attempting to join domain if not already a member....
    01/09/2011 13:11 FOG::HostnameChanger Domain Error! ('Bad Netpath' Code: 53)

go figure everytime I take a step forward I go back. Oh well whats being an IT tech with out a piece of software mocking you lol

Thanks for your help

Thank Post
    At face value you would think that was due to incorrect ip or dns configuration, but you are obvisouly contacting the FOG server with no issues. I assume that manual domain join will work with no issues?

Thank Post
    You assume correct, straight through no problems. Im just trying what you suggested earlier using the default dll and just using a semi admin account. Just the ability to add to domain.

Just this second finished booting up, same error as before. Bad netpath code 53.

I do love me problems cause there so random it bugs you till you figure it out.

Thank Post
    And if you look at the host settings it defintely lists the username in the format "domain\user" for each host, rather than looking at the default values in the FOG AD settings?

Thank Post
    Definetly lists the username as domain\user for each host. just checked a random 5

Thank Post
    And you did put the password back through FOGCrypt using the default key now that you have gone back to the default hostnamechanger.dll?

Thank Post
    I have two fogcrypts in my c drive, on eusing th eoriginal key, the other the recopmpiled key. Ive doiuble checked and im using th ecorrect dll with the correct password with th elatest version of fog client.

Thank Post
    If you restart the fog service after this error do you get the same error in the log file the next time around?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    If you restart the fog service after this error do you get the same error in the log file the next time around?
    Identical error, the log file is the same bar the time stamp.

Thank Post
    Try temporarily putting the domain admin account credentials into the AD settings and give that a try.

Thank Post
    Still the same error, I've even tried disabling every other service bar the hostname changer service on the fog client. Still wont do it. Im going to uninstall .net4 and see if that helps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast