+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Windows 7 to Sysprep or not? in Technical; Do we need to use Sysprep with Fog or will FogPrep do the same job? also with Windows XP we ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 to Sysprep or not?

Do we need to use Sysprep with Fog or will FogPrep do the same job?

also with Windows XP we had a Sysprep setup saved on my network that we could use on any XP machine.
    We dont appear to be able to set up a similar generic Sysprep for Windows 7 each time we have to run through the answerfile setup for each machine prior to taking an image. This is time consuming and leading to inconsistent results.

Thank Post
    You'll need to Sysprep, much more so than with XP (I NewSID on XP still). You'll need to FOGPrep too unless you've just updated to the lastest release of FOG.

Thank Post
    Do I really have to remake the answerfile every time?

Thank Post
    Don't think so - but I'm not sure as I don't use an unattended answer file at present - I'm pretty sure it's possible from reading on here though.

Thank Post
    Right ive been experimenting with sysprep. So far I have been running it without an answerfile and I have discovered that I can only run it so many times before it starts to fail and give errors. Is this where we need an answerfile with the skiprearm setting in it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You need to sysprep unless you want lasting and strange problems with your deployment. I don't think that skipping the rearm cycle will sort it either which is why most of use use a virtual environment to make a base image and snapshot it before sysprep. You can then just rollback the snapshot to update it. Given the hardware independance of the new sysprep you just need to add the right drivers into the image and you can push the one image to all PCs.

7. Thanks to SYNACK from:

JJonas (1st August 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 1,027 Posts
    we use sysprep and fog with windows 7 - i'll see if i can digout an answer file for you - although not at work till monday now

9. Thanks to glennda from:

JJonas (1st August 2011)

Thank Post
    Def sysprep. Answer file can stay in system32 sysprep folder if you want. Just copy and paste.

11. Thanks to Jiser from:

farmerste (6th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks for all of the posts and suggestions...will bare them in mind for future images but for this one, i've completely had enough!

Made a big image which took best part of yesterday to do, wouldn't sysprep. Even just running sysprep with the generalize setting and no answer file. Fatal error which on lots of google searches showed the most common answer to be it's something wrong with the image and the image needs to be rebuilt. Nothing to do with the re-arm count, it wont even run sysprep.

Bit the bullet, wiped the machine today, installed win 7 again from scratch, sp1, all updates, latest drivers, all software (including complete adobe master collection)! never joined it to the domain and guess what....EXACTLY the same problem!. This has happened before on another Win 7 image too. Sysprep sucks!....I have imaged literally hundreds of XP computers at loads of schools without any problems whatsoever.

I Read Mark Russinovichs post and despite the title, it seems to me he is saying unique computer sids (which is really all I want sysprep for here) aren't needed. The Machine SID Duplication Myth (and Why Sysprep Matters) - Mark&#39s Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

I'm going with just running fog prep as there's no way in hell i'm building an image for a third time, the image is fine. If needed, i'll look for a third party win 7 tool to change the sid as newsid doesn't seem to work. If it really doesn't work, i'll go back to XP for now!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Thanks for all of the posts and suggestions...will bare them in mind for future images but for this one, i've completely had enough!

Made a big image which took best part of yesterday to do, wouldn't sysprep. Even just running sysprep with the generalize setting and no answer file. Fatal error which on lots of google searches showed the most common answer to be it's something wrong with the image and the image needs to be rebuilt. Nothing to do with the re-arm count, it wont even run sysprep.

Bit the bullet, wiped the machine today, installed win 7 again from scratch, sp1, all updates, latest drivers, all software (including complete adobe master collection)! never joined it to the domain and guess what....EXACTLY the same problem!. This has happened before on another Win 7 image too. Sysprep sucks!....I have imaged literally hundreds of XP computers at loads of schools without any problems whatsoever.

I Read Mark Russinovichs post and despite the title, it seems to me he is saying unique computer sids (which is really all I want sysprep for here) aren't needed. The Machine SID Duplication Myth (and Why Sysprep Matters) - Mark&#39s Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

I'm going with just running fog prep as there's no way in hell i'm building an image for a third time, the image is fine. If needed, i'll look for a third party win 7 tool to change the sid as newsid doesn't seem to work. If it really doesn't work, i'll go back to XP for now!
    Sysprep works fine and is useful not just for newsid purposes...

The issue with your fatal error may be to do with that you have syspreped more than 3 times on that machine. We played around with skip rearm and things started working after KMS started liscencing (count of 25+ first with W7)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiser View Post
    Sysprep works fine and is useful not just for newsid purposes...

The issue with your fatal error may be to do with that you have syspreped more than 3 times on that machine. We played around with skip rearm and things started working after KMS started liscencing (count of 25+ first with W7)
    No, it was the first time Sysprep was run on that machine, freshly built brand new image.

here are the error logs if anyone can make sense of them

2011-07-29 13:37:26, Error [0x0f0082] SYSPRP LaunchDll:Failure occurred while executing 'C:\Windows\system32\msdtcprx.dll,SysPrepDtcCleanu p', returned error code -2147024891[gle=0x000000b7]

2011-07-29 13:37:26, Error [0x0f0070] SYSPRP RunExternalDlls:An error occurred while running registry sysprep DLLs, halting sysprep execution. dwRet = -2147024891[gle=0x000000b7]

2011-07-29 13:37:26, Error [0x0f00a8] SYSPRP WinMain:Hit failure while processing sysprep cleanup providers; hr = 0x80070005[gle=0x000000b7]

Thank Post
    @glennda would like your copy of the answer file if you can dig that up for me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Given the hardware independance of the new sysprep you just need to add the right drivers into the image and you can push the one image to all PCs.
    Is there a guide on how to do this?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Ive looked everywhere. Apprently there is a sysprep driver scanner but we gave up for the easier solution. We just install as many drivers as we can on one type then go to others and test + resysprep then reupload to FOG. Good to have different image versions anyway.

Just out of curiosity what commands are you using to start sysprep?

Theres probably something wrong in your answer file if its coming up with a fatal error every time. If you want I will forward you ours. Weve 'rewritten' it a few times and definately works on all our machine types - laptops and desktops (pretty much all dells) and our rubbish Idesks.
    Last edited by Jiser; 1st August 2011 at 05:40 PM.

Thank Post
    @glennda would like your copy of the answer file if you can dig that up for me.
    Hi I would like a copy of both of these if possible please.

Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast