+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Fog PXE Issues in Technical; Recent just setup a new ubuntu machine and installed FOG on the machine per the instructions on their website. (completely ...

Thank Post

Fog PXE Issues

Recent just setup a new ubuntu machine and installed FOG on the machine per the instructions on their website. (completely self contained install)

i am able to get into the management website without a problem.

when i setup the machine i was missing both the pxelinux.0 and pxelinux.cfg from the /var/lib/tftpboot/ directory
    found the pxelinux.0 file in my / folder so simply did a CP to the /var/lib/tftpboot folder
    then i copied the /pxelinux.cfg/ from the installer packages folder hoping thats all i needed

now when i PXE boot the machine gets a DHCP address and gives me all the correct network information.

But it does not go anywhere else i sit at the PXE screen where the last two lines read

Client MAC ADDR: ----------
    Client IP: 192.168.x.x ---------------

thoughts on what mistake made?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lowerym View Post
    Recent just setup a new ubuntu machine and installed FOG on the machine per the instructions on their website. (completely self contained install)

i am able to get into the management website without a problem.

when i setup the machine i was missing both the pxelinux.0 and pxelinux.cfg from the /var/lib/tftpboot/ directory
    found the pxelinux.0 file in my / folder so simply did a CP to the /var/lib/tftpboot folder
    then i copied the /pxelinux.cfg/ from the installer packages folder hoping thats all i needed

now when i PXE boot the machine gets a DHCP address and gives me all the correct network information.

But it does not go anywhere else i sit at the PXE screen where the last two lines read

Client MAC ADDR: ----------
    Client IP: 192.168.x.x ---------------

thoughts on what mistake made?
    I had a look at my fog install (I also use Ubuntu) and my tftpboot directory is in the root folder. It contains a fog folder, a pxelinux.cfg folder, and a tftpboot folder. There are also a number of files. Do you have these in your root directory? I think this is where it boots from, not from the location you have found in /var/lib. The total size is around 17.3 meg. If you find your fog install isn't working you can always run the installfog.sh again for another try (I am about to do this myself to convert to a storage server).

Second thing I guess is what is your PXE / DHCP situation? I have a windows domain and I have set options 66 and 67 on my windows DHCP server to point to the right file and ip address. Your DHCP server might not be set up or you might have enabled the fog DHCP server when you could have used your windows server if you have one.
    Last edited by bronwen; 15th July 2011 at 08:51 AM.

Thank Post
    If DHCP is on the same machine as the PXE server you will probably need to set Option 60 to "PXEClient" within DHCP (to tell the client to go back to that server for the boot image).

mb

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread