+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, WDS PXE Broken in Technical; Hi, I can no longer see the options for wds when i boot a computer into pxe. I followed this ...

Thank Post

WDS PXE Broken

Hi,

I can no longer see the options for wds when i boot a computer into pxe.
    I followed this guide to set up symantec ghost pxe Enterprise Support - Symantec Corp. - How to use the 3Com Boot Services with Symantec Ghost thinking it would just give me the extra option to boot to ghost, however i now only have ghost as an option and none of the options from wds.

Any ideas how to get these back and keep ghost?

Thank Post
    probably easiest way top get them back is to reinstall wds

as to ghost as well i used bootland.com and created a win7 boot.wim that contains ghost 32 (and a load of network / sata etc drivers)

Thank Post
    I've not heard of bootland before. I'll take a look into it. Dont suppose you have a guide on using it with ghost?
    Yeah i guess reinstalling wds will be easyiest way. Do you think this will defintly fix it?

Thank Post
    no idea if it will fix it but there is a fair chance.

with bootland i just (bear in mind this was a year or 2 ago lol) went through their programme and added in teh ghost32 exe file on the desktop so when you pxe boot its just there. I uploaded a copy of it to my website at somepoint (dont remember doing it but meh) http://www.stedscarpics.net/edugeek/win7rescue.zip so give that a try and either use that or use it as a base for doing your own (please dont everyone on here download it i dont have unlimited bandwidth but 10-20 downloads shouldnt get me in trouble)

Thank Post
    Just a note, you can only have one PXE environment on a subnet at a time in a useable form! If you want WDS to work disable the 3Com services and visa versa. It sounds like the 3Com services are just pipping WDS to getting the clients attention.

We have an ancient version of Ghost which runs with RIS (WDS in legacy mode), just requires RIS setting up then using the Ghost boot wizard to add the network drivers to the options of boot discs. It also required those two DHCP options to specify the RIS image to use on startup (would have to look those up if it sounds about right lol)

Thank Post
    thanks all. I tried disabling the 3com services but than nothing loads during network boot.
    Not the best of times for this to happen when preparing to deploy the new images!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveaproblem View Post
    thanks all. I tried disabling the 3com services but than nothing loads during network boot.
    Not the best of times for this to happen when preparing to deploy the new images!
    Doh! Is WDS started? Have you checked the default image which is applied when WDS boots? You can force it to deploy a certain image file at boot time in the options, to get around the fact that we had PXE options defined in DHCP I set WDS to auto boot from my MDT WIM when it is active.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Doh! Is WDS started? Have you checked the default image which is applied when WDS boots? You can force it to deploy a certain image file at boot time in the options, to get around the fact that we had PXE options defined in DHCP I set WDS to auto boot from my MDT WIM when it is active.
    WDS is started. Not to sure what you mean by the rest. In the WDS server properties the 'default boot program' are set if thats what you mean?

Thank Post
    WDS is started. Not to sure what you mean by the rest. In the WDS server properties the 'default boot program' are set if thats what you mean?
    Thats teh one it should be on boot\x86\pxeboot.com or something similar. Just below you can also set a default WIM for booting straight into (IE it won't prompt for which image you want to boot to it will just go straight in).

The other DHCP options are available in the scope options of your DHCP server and are option 66 and 67. 66 is the PXE server IP and 67 is the default .com that gets loaded on startup.

Thank Post
    Thats teh one it should be on boot\x86\pxeboot.com or something similar. Just below you can also set a default WIM for booting straight into (IE it won't prompt for which image you want to boot to it will just go straight in).

The other DHCP options are available in the scope options of your DHCP server and are option 66 and 67. 66 is the PXE server IP and 67 is the default .com that gets loaded on startup.
    They both seem correct. Option 66 is pointing to the wds server name (not ip) and option 67 is set as wdsnbp.com
    I guess wds will just need to be reinstalled and hope that works

Thank Post
    Hmm thats odd. If you set a default boot image for WDS then it will automatically boot into the image and bypass the DHCP settings. That would tell you if its them at fault.

What happens atm when you PXE boot?

Thank Post
    Hmm thats odd. If you set a default boot image for WDS then it will automatically boot into the image and bypass the DHCP settings. That would tell you if its them at fault.

What happens atm when you PXE boot?
    Now when i pxe boot it loads up and gives me the boot menu i created in the guide i posted in my first post. From there i select the ghost option and it loads 3com and boots up ghost.
    Maybe i can add something to the boot menu i created to list the wds options?

Thank Post
    Now when i pxe boot it loads up and gives me the boot menu i created in the guide i posted in my first post. From there i select the ghost option and it loads 3com and boots up ghost.
    Maybe i can add something to the boot menu i created to list the wds options?
    That means that the 3Com PXE server is still controlling the PXE boot environment so a service or program is running on the server which is getting there before WDS.

Thank Post
    It would seem so yes, but if i turn off the 3com services and try to pxe boot nothing happens, it doesnt connect to anything, WDS or 3com. Surly if wds was fine it would connect to that when 3com is disabled.
    The 3com pxe is on the same server as dhcp if it makes any difference.

Thank Post
    Interesting, hmm lol does it get the IP address from DHCP then fail to actually find anything or does it hang on a screen?

I have found that if it hangs on a screen then its because the DHCP options are set to the wrong .com file

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast