+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Intel 6 Series Motherboards and WDS Problem in Technical; We've run into a bit of a problem - and it would appear that Intel have acknowledged the issue. Stone ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Intel 6 Series Motherboards and WDS Problem

We've run into a bit of a problem - and it would appear that Intel have acknowledged the issue.

Stone Computers have given us a valuation machine to try things out on - this is so we can test our image and make sure all is ok. We use WDS to install Windows 7 and as normal do a PXE boot with F12. The machine boots initially and all seems well until you get to the screen with the initial 3 options, with the first being to Run the Deployment Wizard to install a new OS. Soon as we click this we get an error saying "A connection to the deployment share (Server path) could not be made." This indicates no Windows 7 driver for the network card can be found. So, we've had this before and you just need to inject the correct drivers into the Toolkit and rebuild the boot image. Except in this case it doesnt work!

The device ID in the .inf file does not match the Device ID of the network card! I've been bashing my head against the wall trying to sort this. Frustratingly we can build the machine straight from the Windows 7 DVD and install the drivers manually and it works, but just refuses to accept the driver for the card when using WDS.

Stone have been really helpfully in trying to solve this issue, they have replaced the motherboard to different models but still no luck. Working with the Technical Manager it would appear (and Intel have now confirmed) that there is an issue with all the 6 Series motherboards! Be it a driver issue or a BIOS issue, this seems to have kicked a bit of a hornets nest with Stone and Intel.

Has anybody else got WDS working with these boards? The model we have at the moment is DQ670W, but we have had the DH61 also but either don't work.

Nightmare!

Pete
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 2nd September 2011 at 12:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Which H61 board have you tried?
    What device id do you have for the card?
    What BIOS version is the DQ67OW on?
    Last edited by PeterW; 17th June 2011 at 03:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh, these use the intel 825xxx bla bla bla Gigabit ethernet cards don't they?

If so we have had this exact problem with a dirty Toshiba laptop where they have this card but a different PnP ID. To fix it to run on WDS I spent four hours digging through old driver versions and eventually found the right one off the hp site. This is a known fault with Intel's excremental driver quality.

The other thing to watch for if you have these cards is that they are set to 'wait for link' in the driver, we have to update the driver to the latest one after build then apply this setting for them to reliably pick up network after a reboot.

PM me if it is these cards as I can hopefully dig out the driver for you, I also have a reg key to force the 'wait for link' setting. Once these things are sorted they work alright, it's just a big hassel..

Edit: Intel® 82579LM Gigabit Ethernet Controller - I was right, same card with probably the same issue. I'd post the reg key but I posted it here so logicly I now can't find it.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 17th June 2011 at 08:55 PM.

4. Thanks to SYNACK from:

FragglePete (18th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Found it, Intel 82578DM NIC only Connects After Cold Boot although it does mean that I was wrong in having the driver for it already. It is probably a simmilar issue though with the secondary PNPID not specified for WinPE properly in the driver. I'd just try a bunch of versions, copy down the PNPID that WDS sees and then do a text search in the extracted drivers at each version level to see which INF contains them and then you can try injecting just that one.

We had to wipe all other intel drivers for NICs out first then slowly put them back one by one.

Thank Post
    We had to wipe all other intel drivers for NICs out first then slowly put them back one by one.
    Nice

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Oh Cripes! Not happy - really don't want to do that. We're running out of time now; just got informed that any ordering has to be completed before 30th June this year due to us going over the Academy Status so won't be able to pay suppliers for a bit after that date. Great!

May just fall back to older chipsets for now. There is only so much time I can spend on this!

Pete

Thank Post
    Which driver have you tried injecting, the one from the 16.3 package?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
    Which driver have you tried injecting, the one from the 16.3 package?
    Several - tried 16.3 (and 16.2) and I think I've tried something like 15.7 as a suggestion from Stone. Still no joy. Hats off to Stone, they appear to be working over time on a solution but I really don't want to start removing Intel drivers from our image - but if that what it takes!

Pete

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 1,938 Posts
    I don't know if it's related, but Intel's NIC drivers have another issue which is worth mentioning...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymen...-my-calls.aspx

Thank Post
    Had a similar problem with Intel DH61 series where WDS would not capture image back to WDS server (network driver had not loaded or network not initialised). To work around this used the instructions in the following Error message when you start a PXE client to connect to a WDS server on a Windows Server 2003 SP1-based computer or on a Windows Server 2008-based computer&#58 &#34WdsClient&#58 An error occurred while starting networking&#34
    While there was not error in the log file we were able to manually load the driver (in this case with driver CD copied to USB was drvload f:\pro1000\winx64\ndis62\elc62x64.inf) and perform initialise - got ip etc. and was then able to continue with the capture process.

Hope this helps
    Andy

Thank Post
    Can I just chip in to say, we had this type of issue on an RM CC3 Network with a Viglen test workstation and had to revert a different mainboard for any success

Thank Post
    Work around (see previous post) was good for capture but not deploy as error message appears but even if drivers manually added clicking OK to error just reboots device. Was considering applying image manually with big hdd and imagex (there were only 6 x devices with this hardware) but gave adding drivers to boot image one more go and it worked. The difference was instead of using Add Driver Package with 'All packages from a folder', the 'Driver packages from inf' was used and only the specific known working driver added (to a new driver group). Boot image was then updated re-adding all available drivers and it worked. Maybe this made a difference, maybe it was just adding the driver in a certain order or maybe it was just my lucky day - who knows?

Thank Post
    I'm having the same issue with these NIC's now in lenovo m90z's. I injected all the drivers manually to our capture image and it worked fine.

Now trying to deploy and getting the error message about nic drivers not being installed. THEY'RE THE SAME GOD DAMN DRIVERS JUST WORK

Thank Post
    Ok this is driving me insane, how Can I get a deploy image to use these drivers correctly?

Thank Post
    I've now installed all of the 116 drivers included in the intel generic driver download. Still no joy.

What a joke.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast