+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
O/S Deployment Thread, Intel 6 Series Motherboards and WDS Problem in Technical; Intel's drivers can be very low quality and it is a case of hopeing that you can get ones that ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Intel's drivers can be very low quality and it is a case of hopeing that you can get ones that work (and removing newer ones that don't from contention) or spend time cleaning up intels mess manually. The other option is to make a custom image then sysprep it with the don't remove PnP drivers option in an answer file then use various other means to drop this image on the hardware.

<PersistAllDeviceInstalls>true</PersistAllDeviceInstalls>

Thank Post
    The driver within the image i'm applying is fine. It's the winPE boot images that don't seem to recognize the driver correctly. More specifically the deploy boot image.

I've managed to capture the image fine.

I'm about ready to break things trying to sort this out.

Thank Post
    Not sure if my experiences were the same but maybe this will help...?

Find out exactly which drivers you need off the Intel driver disk. Best way to do this is create new capture boot image with no drivers, boot using this then follow link in earlier post for instructions on manually adding a driver from the inf. In my case this was using the NDIS2 driver. When you have the one that works add this specific one to your WDS drivers and be sure to add this single driver to a new driver group. Next create a new boot image from original media (i.e without any drivers) and then add drivers to this image but filter these by driver group so only the single known working Intel driver is added. This new boot image should then work fine. Well, done this on two separate WDS implementations with two different Intel Pro 1000 NIC's and it worked fine both times.

Good luck

Thank Post
    the intel 16.5 drivers when added in make it work!

Thank Post
    After putting up a beautiful new WDS server and convincing my network techs to give it a try in place of our out dated Ghosting process, we went to try it on one of our main production desktops (Dell Optiplex 790) and low and behold I ran into this same issue I am seeing here, though in my case it's specifically with the Intel 82579 LM NIC. I loaded the drive that Win7 works just fine with into MDT, and once booting into Lite Touch it gives the dreaded, cannot connect to DeploymentShare message because the NIC driver did not load. I've spent the better part of a day digging around forums, found all kinds of people having the same issue, some hints at a resolution, but never final solutions.

I found one work around, it's not the greatest way to go, but I like it better than some of the other options I have come across, so I thought I would share it with y'all. Basically, once in Lite-Touch, I go to the command prompt, and run a batch file I store on a thumb drive with all the driver files, that batch manually installs the drive, initializes the network, and reloads the Lite-Touch WinPE environment so you can proceed with the deployment process. I'll outline it in more depth below:

First, go out and get the latest Intel Drivers for your NIC from Intel directly for Win7. Unpack PROWin32.exe, drill down to PROWin32\PRO1000\Win32. In this folder you will see groups of five files (.cat, .din, .inf, sys, and .dll) that relate to the driver you need as well as a handful of more generic driver files that start with Nic (such as NicInstC.dll), I'll be using e1c6232 files + all the extra files.

I took a blank thumb drive, copied my file five e1c6232 files and all the generic driver files out of the folder mentioned above, to the thumb drive. Then, I made a batch file with the following lines in it:

drvload.exe e1c6232.inf
    wpeutil.exe InitializeNetwork
    wpeinit.exe

Saved that batch file to the root of the thumb drive where all the NIC files are.

Finally, I PXE boot the computer to the WDS server like normal with the thumb drive plugged in, only when I get to the GUI, I choose Exit to Command Prompt. At the command prompt, navigate to F: (should be the drive of the USB stick) and run my batch file. The batch file loads the driver, initializes the network, and then relaunches the WinPE GUI. From here you should be able to choose to proceed with Windows Deployment, only this time you won't get the error message about the NIC not working.

I really wish I could find a way to get it working properly, but short of that, this seems like the simplest work around I could find. I will probably make a few of these thumb sticks for my network techs and they'll just have to keep one handy whenever they want to work on 790s, thankfully we don't have any labs with 790s and we're about to move on to the next model, but dag-nabbit this bug really irks me.

Anyways, hope that helps.

Thank Post
    Well.. I spoke too soon, got past the NIC driver errors... now I am getting a "Unable to create system partition error" when I get to the Win7 setup GUI, not sure what is going on now and I am running out of time before the weekend to do much more testing. I will report back when I figure this out.

Thank Post
    You need to add your network drivers and sata ahci drivers to your MDT server and then update the deployment share and rebuild the boot image and then re-add this to your WDS server.

Thank Post
    Did anyone ever figure this out? I have a Lenovo T430 with an Intel 82579LM nic in it.

I have the capture image running but I cannot make the deploy work. I can manually load e1c6232.inf and it gets an IP address. But if i inject that driver into the boot image it does not work.

Anyone have a hint?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drecchia View Post
    Did anyone ever figure this out? I have a Lenovo T430 with an Intel 82579LM nic in it.

I have the capture image running but I cannot make the deploy work. I can manually load e1c6232.inf and it gets an IP address. But if i inject that driver into the boot image it does not work.

Anyone have a hint?
    I think asus has an update utility that fixes this intel screwup on their boards, it reports the nic wrongly by default causing the issue with drivers not finding it. The z77 pro boards were the ones i found it under.

Thank Post
    I see that now, thanks, but hopefully this isn't the only thing to do here. With this I'd have to run it on all 300 machines before I tried to image them if I'm reading it correctly.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drecchia View Post
    I see that now, thanks, but hopefully this isn't the only thing to do here. With this I'd have to run it on all 300 machines before I tried to image them if I'm reading it correctly.
    Look through old drivers, intel has pulled this rubbish before and their first attempt at a fix was a driver that responded to the incorect pnp id even in windows pe, find out what the reported pnp id is before installing a driver that may mask the problem then do a text search in as many intel driver versions as you can find for that string. If the inf has it it should work. This depends on intel having taken the same shortcut when they screwed it up this time.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12