+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, unable to join domain with new computers in Technical; For the first time ever we're imaging workstations fully windows-up-to-date, service pack 3. Never had a problem before with domain ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

unable to join domain with new computers

For the first time ever we're imaging workstations fully windows-up-to-date, service pack 3. Never had a problem before with domain joining.

the error in the fog log is
    Code:
     17/06/2011 11:17 FOG::HostnameChanger Hostname is up to date
     17/06/2011 11:17 FOG::HostnameChanger Attempting to join domain if not already a member....
     17/06/2011 11:17 FOG::HostnameChanger netdom output: The system cannot find the file specified.

The command failed to complete successfully.

17/06/2011 11:18 FOG::DirCleaner Starting directory cleaning process...
    which means....nothing...

Thing is recently we also upgraded the domain to 2008r2. I would normally have time to test a bunch of things to isolate the problem but I've got a pile of 50 new computers to image and more coming :-S I'm hoping one of you knows what this means and can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Thank Post
    are the machines xp or 7?

what version of fog?

nick

3. Thanks to bart21 from:

jonny_2010 (4th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They're XP

Thank Post
    You have encrypted the domain password with (iirc) fogcrypt haven't you?

See HostnameChanger Could not find any recognizable digits

Thank Post
    what version of fog?

Thank Post
    If you set the 'AD joining' username by setting it through a FOG group then there is a bug which will remove the backslash, that might be worth checking. Are you adding these via a PXE boot or are you creating the host defintions yourself? Also the last few releases of FOG don't use netdom so if you think you have the newest one then something is amiss.

Thank Post
    I've had problems in the past when setting the OU for them to go into. Leaving it blank has worked for me. May or may not affect you but is something to check.

Thank Post
    if it is fog version .28 or below you will need netdom installed as part of support tools, what version of fog are you using?

as @morganw says, if you are using .29 or .30 in the ad username box there needs to be domain\username. if when entering this slash it gets turned into a double slash then you need to turn magic quotes off in php.ini and restart apache.

nick

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mats View Post
    You have encrypted the domain password with (iirc) fogcrypt haven't you?

See HostnameChanger Could not find any recognizable digits

Yes. not recently. We've been using join domain for years, fine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    have you tired adding a computer to the domain with out this fog program ?

Thank Post
    Does the computer you have imaged have .NET Framework 4 Full (ie Client Profile & Extended) installed? We are having problems with computers renaming and joining the domain at the moment and it seems to stop working when we install .net 4. The computers will rename and join the domain only when you restart the Fog service which is obviously a bit of a pain.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdTheGreek View Post
    Does the computer you have imaged have .NET Framework 4 Full (ie Client Profile & Extended) installed? We are having problems with computers renaming and joining the domain at the moment and it seems to stop working when we install .net 4. The computers will rename and join the domain only when you restart the Fog service which is obviously a bit of a pain.
    I've also has this happen when .NET Framework 4 was already installed, sometimes it would work properly but most of the time it wouldn't. I guess you could install it as a snap-in afterwards but it takes about 15 minutes to install. The latest version of FOG should open your sysprep.inf file from the init system and rewrite the hostname. You can then use sysprep to join the domain and the host rename and domain join functions of the FOG service should be redundant.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdTheGreek View Post
    We had this exact same problem with the fog service. Its a timing issue of some kind. My investigations showed that the fog service started before the network was fully up for some reason and this caused it to not function correctly.

In the end I fixed it by changing the fog service to Automatic (Delayed) which delays the start of the service by approx 2 mins.

15. Thanks to ChrisMiles from:

sjatkn (11th August 2011)

Thank Post
    We have .net 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and 4 on our image and I've not had any problems in joining the domain (FOG v0.31)

I've recently patched FOG with a mod from the site which modifies the sysprep file immediately after imaging. This populates the correct hostname and the domain join instructions in the sysprep file, which means that the PC has the correct name and joins the domain without the need for the usual additional 2 reboots.

As a start, I would try updating the FOG client on your image, as it looks like you're using an old (netdom required) version. Note that the client auto-register was removed about the same time as the dependency on netdom, so be bear this in mind if you need this feature.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    I've recently patched FOG with a mod from the site which modifies the sysprep file immediately after imaging. This populates the correct hostname and the domain join instructions in the sysprep file, which means that the PC has the correct name and joins the domain without the need for the usual additional 2 reboots.

I have started to run into some problems recently after we started sysprepping our images. After deploying the image the machines aren't joining the domain. Not sure if it is a sysprep issue or a Fog one, but I noticed you mentioned being able to patch FOG with a mod to write the computer name and domain join info directly into the sysprep files. Do you still have a copy of this mod or know where I can find it?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread