+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Advice Needed - What to choose??? in Technical; Hi, Currently we use Ghost to gather and deploy our images. Each model is loaded with the required software and ...
    Thank Post

Advice Needed - What to choose???

Hi,

Currently we use Ghost to gather and deploy our images. Each model is loaded with the required software and gathered.

I've wanted to improve our current setup for a while but don't know what to move to.

What do you reccomend that I look into to make our lives easier here, as there seem to be so many ways of deployment.

WDS, RIS, MDT, SCCM, FOG or just stick with Ghost???

Thanks,

Michael

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by linkazoid View Post
    I've wanted to improve our current setup for a while but don't know what to move to.
    FOG with a basic image for each model of PC (or get an image to work on as many models as you can, while you're at it) and distribute sofware via Active Directory or a script if that isn't practical.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,460 Posts
    WDS & MDT

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    I would say fog - its just got so many other features that ghost, wds and Ris doesn't have never used SCCM so can't comment there but its so good.

I have a basic image which has sims, adobe suite flash shockwave java, mcaffee agent (which then installs the client automagically when deployed)

Also fog has built in a method for deploying software.

Thank Post
    I've used RIS, WDS and FOG but not MDT/SCCM.

I'd also say FOG is the better of those I've tried - it's far more flexible and not having to have physical access to the target PCs (provided you can WOL them) is great.

We've a single XP image working on about 20 different models from 3-4 manufacturers. The base image has the standard software installed and this is supplemented via snapins or GPO deployed software targeted to specific groups of PCs.

Currently building a W7 image which is also working nicely across various models once you import any necessary drivers into the driver store on the master image.

Thank Post
    I have used Ghost, Clonezilla, FOG (I actually got a lot of local districts to switch to it), WDS and MDT.

While each have their pros/cons at this point I am 100% behind MDT/WDS. It is such a great tool. Id like to eventually get SCCM but it costs money lol

Thank Post
    If you're moving to or already on Windows 7 then WDS with or without MDT and SCCM. If you're on WIndows XP then I'd say FOG.

Thank Post
    id even be tempted to say wds/mdt is the way to go for xp ive not managed to do 100% unattended yet but tbh i have no need to so havnt really tried. For win7 either add software as msi to deploy after build deploy them with mdt or install all to a base image made on a virtual pc and use that in mdt with drivers to fire out to workstations 1 image to rule them all

Thank Post
    +1 for FOG

Thank Post
    SCCM, been using it since SMS 2003 and wouldn't be without it on the network now (will also sort out software deployment and R3 has some nifty power management stuff I want to get stuck into as well at some point)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    SCCM, been using it since SMS 2003 and wouldn't be without it on the network now (will also sort out software deployment and R3 has some nifty power management stuff I want to get stuck into as well at some point)
    Whats the pricing like for SCCM? Id love to look into it.

Thank Post
    On Microsoft EES licensing... peanuts

Standard corporate pricing... quite a bit more...

Thank Post
    For Windows XP I think FOG is the most flexible option, syspreped images that incorporate HAL switching and driver installation normally works across a broad range of hardware. You also get additional services to set the screen resolutions, track logon and loggoff events, install software, hardware inventory, auto-logoff, automated shutdowns...

For Windows 7 I'm not so sure, I'm currently implementing WDS + MDT2010 + WPKG + WPKG-GP for more flexible driver selection and application deployment. Part of the problem is that we are getting more and more laptops which means WOL rebuilds aren't particularly useful to manage or update software. Also some of the FOG services haven't been updated to work properly with Windows 7.

Thank Post
    Whilst this might be a grave dig I was lead here from a google search. Mods feel free to split as appropriate. I needed to look into ways of automatically upgrading existing systems to windows 7. We didnt have any spare money so extra licences for servers or SCCM was out. That pretty much left us with either clonezilla live or FOG. Previoulsy I have used clonezilla live server to capture sysprepped images and deploy semi manually to systems (then domain join manually. For this project we have FOG server running under a virtual machine (ubuntu 12.04). The images are linked to our NAS storage drive (as an NFS share). Once up and running FOG is pretty easy to use - I would recommed avoiding quick registration though unless you like wading through mac addresses. Our windows 7 image was created using this tutorial Windows 7 Deployment FOG- SAD2 Driver tool > FOG Forums > Open Source Computer Cloning Solution and is a "universal" image. Has worked on our dell 330, 380 machines. Has also worked on our fujitsu A530's and toshiba 660 fleet of laptops.

Obviously it relies on network pxe boot (so password that pxe fog screen options!) and also needs to do a little configuring with a C module (for AD security). All this is well documented and works but FOG is not a turnkey solution! I do not use any other FOG services so I cannot comment on those.

I had made a minor mistake with the image (missed a piece of software off which I could have deployed via GPO if necessary) so it was a great way to test the refresh image (and rejoin AD) portion of FOG for a room full of PCs. It worked and I was very (pleasantly) surprised!
    Last edited by KK20; 15th June 2012 at 10:49 AM.

15. Thanks to KK20 from:

linkazoid (15th June 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread