+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Broken from the Beginning in Technical; I figured it was about time I try out Fog, so I tossed it on my 'buntu box. I didn't ...

Thank Post

Broken from the Beginning

I figured it was about time I try out Fog, so I tossed it on my 'buntu box. I didn't realize that I had an SQL issue going on.

I was getting the error when trying to log into my fog server (192.168.1.4).

I read somewhere that I needed to go in and remove the passwords for my root SQL accounts. Having done that, the error is gone... but the problem persists.

Now, however, I'm left with a white screen.

Come to find out, my installation of fog isn't making any databases right off the bat...

All it's doing is installing (supposedly with success) and turning on my services.

I have no idea where to start or what I'm missing (if anything).

So... any help would be appreciated.

Thank Post
    i'd uninstall SQL, and FOG then install SQL again from fresh - set a root password because I'm sure somewhere in the installation of FOG it asks for a SQL password and it can't be blank - SO install SQL again and then install FOG and also re-install Apache and do it before you start installing FOG again 0 then once FOGS installed again give it another go.

3. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

MrSchism (27th April 2011)

Thank Post
    I was hoping for a solution that was more direct in case that fails.

As I said, there was no fog database made.

Thank Post
    The installer isn't designed to run on a production system, it's designed to be run on a previously unconfigured server. It's also possible to have problems running the installer behind a proxy, I think I had to manually install the tftp server package as well as ensuring my proxy was set in apt.conf.

6. Thanks to morganw from:

Thank Post
    When installing fog did you select the option for normal server or storage node?

8. Thanks to bart21 from:

Thank Post
    Morgan: I'm not behind a proxy nor am I using it as one.

Bart: Normal.

Is Fog supposed to make a fog database during its installation? I read a config file and it said that it needed a
    database named fog...

Yet there was none.

Thank Post
    I think Fog will prompt you to create a database the first time you login to the web console (rather than creating it during the install).
    Last edited by netadmin; 25th April 2011 at 05:50 AM.

11. Thanks to netadmin from:

Thank Post
    Does anyone have a clean install of Fog that I could get a copy of? I can edit the necessary file lines.... I just have a feeling that something is wrong.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    The installer isn't designed to run on a production system, it's designed to be run on a previously unconfigured server. It's also possible to have problems running the installer behind a proxy, I think I had to manually install the tftp server package as well as ensuring my proxy was set in apt.conf.
    Yep. It's designed to run on a new unconfigured machine - I'd try and find another machine thats been wiped to stick it on or wipe the machine itself and start again.

14. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

Thank Post
    I can see exactly where Bart21 is coming from in asking if you selected a Normal or Storage Node install - Storage Nodes present you with a blank screen from the web browser. FOG will "remember" which install you initially chose though so it may be worth checking the content of your /var/www/fog/management/index.php from the console of the server.

If it contains:
    Code:
    <php die( "This is a storage node, please do not access the web ui here!" ); ?>
    Then it thinks it's a storage node.

The "remembered" settings are in /opt/fog/.fogsettings so you can delete this file prior to a reinstall to ensure it asks all the questions again.

You don't necessarily have to remove your MySQL root pw - just ensure you enter it into these files after the fog install:

/var/www/fog/commons/config.php (values MYSQL_USERNAME and MYSQL_PASSWORD)

and the services file:

/opt/fog/service/etc/config.php (again, MYSQL_USERNAME and MYSQL_PASSWORD)

It's worth sticking with as it's a great piece of software when up and running.

Chad

16. Thanks to Chad from:

Thank Post
    Okay, I started with a blank-white screen. MySQL and Fog were both set to use a username of root with no password.

I replaced the password on the mysql root accounts (127.0.0.1 and localhost). It now gives me the "Unable to connect to Database
    Msg: Failed to connect to server: localhost Server returned: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)" error.

I go into /var/www/fog/commons/config.php and /opt/fog/service/etc/config.php and set the password (for the sake of testing, it is currently "password").

It returns to an only-white screen.

Having used Fog before, I know it's a valuable piece of software when up and running. As wiping this machine... not possible. As well, I don't currently have another that isn't in use.

As for the aforementioned line about it being a storage node... that line of code is not present.

Thank Post
    Hi

Firstly in the root of www ( or in the root of the fog dir if in a sub folder) please create a file named .htaccess in that file please copy the following line:

php_flag display_errors on

This will display any errors that it is giving.

Also in IE please go to page, and view source just check the page looks ok. Eg are the HTML tags both there at the top and bottom. Just trying to check the page is loading properly.

There are some other error options in the php.ini file which will display even deeper errors if the htaccess one failed. If you need them give me a shout after 9 when I will be infront of a server to refresh my memory.

Other than that, try creating an empty DB called fog and see if that triggers it.

Feel free to pm me if you want.

Nick

Ps is it a linux box or a win box?
    Last edited by bart21; 26th April 2011 at 08:10 AM.

19. Thanks to bart21 from:

Thank Post
    Okay. I forgot to turn on the server before I left the house so I can't post all of the information or make any of the changes at the moment, but I can address some questions/suggestions.

This machine is technically a Kubuntu 10.10 machine. I created an empty database named fog. I'm going to see what happens when I delete the database (which may be making part of the issue). Any errors that are presented will be posted here. Should nothing occur, I'll recreate the fog database. I may even try to get a clean fog database and see what is in the database.

When I get home, I'll also make the .htaccess file. I'll check the HTML of the page to make sure everything's present and accounted for.

Thank Post
    Okay... that may be part of the problem. I access 192.168.1.4/fog/management with the white screen... and there's nothing in the page source.

Okay. Good cause of the problem... now, a solution....

Please?

Thank Post
    Have you had a look in the /var/log/apache2/error.log - any pointers in there?

23. Thanks to Chad from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast